Candy Roaster Squash

Reaction score
I've heard it called a honey roaster too,my friend makes a killer Squash Pie with them,i would rather have one over a pumpkin pie any day and she makes a Squash Roll that is to die for from one,I'm trying to get her to join and share her recipes for them,I haven't had either in years,if she doesn't join,I will get the recipes and post them,here is a picture of the Squash

Candy Roaster.jpg

and a picture of a slice of squash pie that i found ,when she first asked me if i would like some Squash Pie,I thought it would be yellow looking :)

squash  pie.JPG

I will get directions on how to prepare and can it too,it is well worth the work

Reaction score
Where do you live @justme4910? I've never heard of this squash, but squash pies are very popular back home in New England. No one here in Texas (that I've encountered) has ever heard of one before. Back home, they sell squash in cans like the pumpkin so many people use for pies and other dishes. I can't get it here, and every year I have to ask my family to send me some. It doesn't state on the cans what type of squash it is, but it must be some sort of Winter Squash. The pie in the picture looks yummy.

Reaction score
Oh my yaaaay! Ask her to join! I love squash, we do so many things with it!!! I'm so looking forward to get all those recipes :) I want to surprise my family with a nice squash pie! That pie does look like something to die for! I love baking with squash and pumpkin equally, the more recipes the better ;)

Reaction score
I live in Tennessee Diane,there seems to be 2 different kinds,one from north Georgia and one from North Carolina,I assume I've been eating the NC ones,but haven't had one in years,I'm not sure what the difference is,here is a link talking about them,it seems they will grow pretty much anywhere

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1916163/nc-candy-roasters

https://www.slowfoodusa.org/ark-item/candy-roaster-squash

I can tell you,that they are killer,my friend would can some for pies and the great squash roll :)

Reaction score
here is the recipe for the pie :)

SQUASH PIE

3 eggs
1 c. banana squash or pumpkin
1/3 c. sugar
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
2/3 c. corn syrup
1/2 c. sugar
3 T. melted butter
1/2 t. vanilla
1 c. pecans
1 unbaked pie shell - 9 inch

Stir together 1 beaten egg, pumpkin,
1/2 c. sugar, & pie spice. Spread over
bottom of pie shell.
Combine 2 beaten eggs, corn syrup, 1/2 c.
sugar, butter, & vanilla. Stir in nuts.
Spoon over pumpkin mixture. Bake 350
50-60 minutes or until filling is. set.

Reaction score
Never had a squash pie but it certainly looks and sounds quite like a pumpkin pie! Is there anything specific (apart from the pumpkin or squash characteristic) that makes them taste very different?

Reaction score
well the let down after I seen it wasn't yellow was major lol when she said a Squash Pie ,the first thought I had was it would be made with the yellow crook necked ones :) why i don't know,that was years ago and I didn't know much about baking, and still don't

I don't know how to explain the diffrence,but you will throw rocks at pumpkin pies after you eat one of these,if I can find one or two,I'm going to make them for thanksgiving and not tell anybody and see what they say about it :)

ugh i need to make a garden spot this year and grow some I guess ,there sorta hard to find,not a whole lot of people grow them

Reaction score
"Squash Pie" is the same as Pumpkin Pie, it's just made with a different type of squash instead of pumpkin (yes, pumpkin is a squash, if you did not know already).

I've had a few different kind of squash pies in my time, and they are all good....cause I just LOVES ME SQUASH!!!!
LOL

Some squashes are sweeter than others, and usually get by with only adding a few tablespoons of honey in the mix instead of sugar.

Most squash pies work better with either brown sugar or molasses as the sweetening ingredient.
You can also use Maple Syrup or Maple Sugar too, but it takes away from the taste of the squash.

And depending on what type of squash you use....your pie will come out some shade of orange or brown.

Reaction score
that is probably why the Banana Squash got the nick name Candy Roster around here

Ask a Question