Cant get my cookies right

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I’m new here/new to home baking and have been experimenting for a while and I just can’t seem to get the cookies the way I want them. I have been ordering these crazy types of cookies off Instagram (Megalicious cookies, pdx cookies, levain style, etc) and have decided it’s too expensive so I should make my own lmao. The cookies they make are super thick and dense but still soft and almost underbaked. Mine either come out too flat, or don’t spread at all (maybe too much flour?) I want to come up with my own recipe, any tips? If you search the companies on Instagram you may understand what I’m going for better, thanks!

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I’m new here/new to home baking and have been experimenting for a while and I just can’t seem to get the cookies the way I want them. I have been ordering these crazy types of cookies off Instagram (Megalicious cookies, pdx cookies, levain style, etc) and have decided it’s too expensive so I should make my own lmao. The cookies they make are super thick and dense but still soft and almost underbaked. Mine either come out too flat, or don’t spread at all (maybe too much flour?) I want to come up with my own recipe, any tips? If you search the companies on Instagram you may understand what I’m going for better, thanks!

It’s less flour than a standard cookie recipe; lower protein flour than what is normally used in a drop cookie; significantly more fine chocolate; then chilling the dough before baking.

Making your own recipe will waste a lot of ingredients if you don’t know the fundamentals of baking. Best try to use a recipe from an experienced baker. That way you can learn about baking without wasting a lot.

Try this recipe. Read through the article. Click on the link regarding creaming butter and sugar (not just for this recipe, but all recipes). Room temperature butter that is the standard in recipes is not correct. While Parks creams butter at 60°F, anything 65°F or cooler is fine as long as your finished dough temperature does not exceed 68°F. I actually cream butter right out the fridge. The key is knowing what creamed butter and sugar is suppose to look like.when it is done AND the finished dough temperature.

Reaction score
It’s less flour than a standard cookie recipe; lower protein flour than what is normally used in a drop cookie; significantly more fine chocolate; then chilling the dough before baking.

Making your own recipe will waste a lot of ingredients if you don’t know the fundamentals of baking. Best try to use a recipe from an experienced baker. That way you can learn about baking without wasting a lot.

Try this recipe. Read through the article. Click on the link regarding creaming butter and sugar (not just for this recipe, but all recipes). Room temperature butter that is the standard in recipes is not correct. While Parks creams butter at 60°F, anything 65°F or cooler is fine as long as your finished dough temperature does not exceed 68°F. I actually cream butter right out the fridge. The key is knowing what creamed butter and sugar is suppose to look like.when it is done AND the finished dough temperature.

Thanks so much! I will give it a try this weekend

Reaction score
they're not real cookies, they're modified scones.

Make a scone batter and add slightly more liquid .
You can work out how much fluid to add by scooping one cookie into a bowl and adding a small measured amount of milk, mix it ,scoop onto baking paper and toss it in a toaster over or your main oven. See what you get, if it doesn't flatten out enough, do it again with more fluid, just keep note of how much you use each time.

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of home baking! It's great to hear that you're enthusiastic about creating your own cookies. Achieving the perfect texture and taste can take some practice, but with a few tips, you'll be well on your way to creating your dream cookies. Here are some suggestions:
  1. Research and Experiment: Take some time to study recipes and techniques from reputable sources or popular baking blogs. Understanding the science behind cookie baking, such as the role of fats, sugars, leavening agents, and flour, will help you make informed decisions when creating your recipe.
  2. Butter and Sugar Ratios: The proportion of butter to sugar can impact cookie texture. Using more butter can result in thinner and crispier cookies, while more sugar can contribute to a softer and chewier texture. Experiment with different ratios to achieve the desired thickness.
  3. Flour and Leavening: If your cookies are spreading too much, it could be due to too little flour or leavening agents like baking powder or baking soda. Adjust the amount of these ingredients to control the spread. Adding a little more flour can help provide structure and prevent excessive spreading.
  4. Chilling the Dough: Many cookie recipes benefit from chilling the dough before baking. This allows the fats to solidify, resulting in less spreading and thicker cookies. Try refrigerating the dough for at least an hour or overnight before baking.
  5. Baking Temperature and Time: Higher temperatures can encourage spreading, while lower temperatures promote thickness. Experiment with different baking temperatures and times to achieve the desired texture. Start with a higher temperature (e.g., 375°F/190°C) for a shorter time, and then adjust as needed.
  6. Mixing Techniques: Pay attention to the mixing process. Overmixing the dough can lead to excessive gluten development, resulting in tougher cookies. Mix until the ingredients are just combined for a tender texture.
  7. Add-ins: Mix-ins like chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruits can affect cookie texture and spread. Experiment with different amounts and types of add-ins to find the balance you prefer.
Remember, creating your own recipe is a process of trial and error. Keep notes on your adjustments and observations to refine your recipe over time. Enjoy the journey of discovering your perfect homemade cookies!

Reaction score

Reaction score
You've had lots of good advice here: research the ingredients and find out what the role of the ingredient is: basic white or unbleached flour is generally the first ingredient but be sure you know what different kinds of flours do: bread flour is not for cookies, it is too high in gluten, whole wheat is heavier and will have a different texture from white flour, pastry flour and cake flour will make a lighter, crispier product as they are fine milled and have less gluten that would make a chewy texture; eggs add moisture, chewiness and tenderness and fluffiness. I suggest you start out with a simple recipe such as the ones from the Crisco Butter Flavored shortening line: the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie, the Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie and the Chewy Oatmeal Cookie. Do bake a test cookie before you put the whole batch in the oven so you can see how your oven and pans do with the temperature and recommended baking time. If you want chewy cookies, underbake the cookies just a little (one minute to 30 seconds--- can make a difference). If you like crispy cookies, you might add one minute. Once you have made the recipe a few times, then you can start adding variations, such as nuts or different types of chips, not only chocolate. Remember that the basic texture and character of the cookie will stay the same from the original recipe. If you want a chewy cookie, start with a chewy cookie recipe and then modify from that point, with variations in baking time or additional stir-ins like flavored chips, nuts or spices. If you want a cake-like cookie, start out with a recipe (Google "cake like cookies") that makes one and then you can vary from there with additions, cooking time, or reduce baking powder a little-1/8 t less for example, if too fluffy). If you want a crispy cookie, start with a crispy cookie recipe (many traditional chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies are crispy due to higher fat content, lower amount of eggs and baking time.)

Good luck and let us know how you do!

https://crisco.com/recipe/ultimate-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Ask a Question