Carob -- The "Other" Chocolate

Reaction score
A lot of people do not know about Carob.

Carob, like chocolate, comes from a tree "bean", which is more of a seed than a bean. Well, a bean IS a seed basically.
carob-seeds.jpg

And, like cocoa powder, carob powder is derived from roasted and ground "beans".

Unlike cocoa though, carob requires a lot less sugar or sweetener to make it sweet. This is good for diabetics, people who don't like sugary sweets, and for people who don't like the heavy taste of chocolate.....or like a chocolaty substance, but not the real chocolate.

Carob, unlike cocoa, is caffeine free and has more vitamins and minerals in it, particularly calcium and iron, which is the perfect reason for a lot of women to eat/use more carob and less chocolate.

Carob can (and is) used in the exact same ways as cocoa. Although, once again, you do not need as much sugar or sweetener to make it sweet.

So, if you are looking to eat MORE baked goodies with LESS sugar, this might be an alternative. It is also great for diabetics and people on a dietary needs list.

But like all other foods out there, please check with your doctor to make sure you are not allergic.....especially people with high allergy issues.

One of the best benefits of carob is.......most people think it's milk chocolate! So bakers using carob can fool their friends and family by making something thats a bit better for them than using cocoa! And unless they are told what they are eating, they won't know the difference!!

Carob................the "other" chocolate!!!!!

Mmmmmmm

BRM-02509-6.jpg

Have you had carob?

Do you use carob in your baking?

Do you like carob?

Reaction score
I have some carob powder in my cupboard, but I've never used it. It sounds like something that would be good to try in place of cocoa powder though.

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever tried carob! Given that I have to avoid most chocolate because of the caffeine it would certainly been a good substitution. Does it taste similar?

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever tried carob! Given that I have to avoid most chocolate because of the caffeine it would certainly been a good substitution. Does it taste similar?

It's a very faint flavor. As I stated in the main post, most people think it's milk chocolate!
;)

A lot of Canadian candy companies use Carob as a "filler" for chocolate candy, since chocolate is so much more expensive than carob.

If you use just enough sweetener to take out the bitter, then you should be able to taste the carob in whatever it is you are making.

I might suggest making a small bit of carob syrup, and then testing it on vanilla ice cream.
You can use milk, a milk substance, cream, or water and a bit of butter...bring that almost till a boil, then turn the heat to medium and add half of the sweetener you would use for cocoa powder, then start sprinkling your carob powder into the hot fluid and whisking. Keep adding carob powder and whisking till it gets to a thick consistency, but not like a paste.

Let it cool a bit. You should be able to taste the carob this way, or pour it over ice cream.

The amount you make and what amounts of ingredients you want is up to you. Just be sure you use a lot of carob powder.

Reaction score
I looved to eat raisins covered with carob when I was younger, sadly the place where I got them from was kind of far. It was one of those health stores with a lot interesting ''healthy'' products. Those tasted so much better than most chocolate covered raisins.

Reaction score
Sounds good, next time I'm in town I'll pick some up :)

If you have any "natural" shops near you, you can see if they have any carob bars. Of course, then again, you run the risk of having too much sweetener in something that is already produced.

Reaction score
I couldn't find any! That being said, I was in a hurry and didn't have a thorough look. I'll see if I can add it to my next online grocery order.

Ask a Question