Carrot cake - any recipes without oil?

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a reliable recipe for carrot cake that doesn't use oil? We've had a thread here in the past about substituting butter for oil in certain cakes, and I'm confident it can be done. The trouble is I've tried a couple of recipes that I found on the internet but they haven't turned out very well.
So, if anyone has a reliable recipe I could use, I'd be very grateful.

Reaction score
Here is a very simple recipe that i found for no oil carrot cake on www.food.com; i guess you could add whatever nuts and essences you prefer to make it more tasty.

Ingredients:

Servings:

Servings 8
Metric

Directions:
  1. 1
    Preheat oven to 325°F.
  2. 2
    Beat sugar and eggs together in a large bowl until thick and pale.
  3. 3
    Stir flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon together.
  4. 4
    Fold flour mixture into the egg mixture.
  5. 5
    Add carrots and nuts.
  6. 6
    Spoon batter into a greased tube or bundt pan (or 2 loaf pans) and bake for 45 minutes or until tester comes out clean.

Reaction score
Thanks, kammy! I'll certainly give this one a go as I can't bear the thought of using oil!! I always think I can taste nothing but oil whenever I've tried it.

I was surprised that this recipe has no butter, but there's a good deal of egg in it so that will do the job I expect.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Reaction score
Thanks, kammy! I'll certainly give this one a go as I can't bear the thought of using oil!! I always think I can taste nothing but oil whenever I've tried it.

I was surprised that this recipe has no butter, but there's a good deal of egg in it so that will do the job I expect.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Be sure to keep me posted Pattycakes , I would really like to know the outcome of your carrot cake.

Reaction score
My last two carrot cakes were from a box and had oil of course:(. I am happy to find this recipe. I will definitely try this. I am not going to rest until I am making most of my cakes from scratch. I have this forum to thank from that.

This weekend I want to try a microwave cake just for the sake of it.

Ask a Question