Carrot cake

Reaction score
Today I am making a carrot cake with the cooked "flour paste" frosting on it. Most carrot cakes I have eaten have raisins added. But at my house we do not care for raisins in any form, so I am going to add dried cranberries instead. We all love those. Do you have any additions you like to put in carrot cake other than the raisins.
For those of you who do not know how to make a "flour paste" frosting, here is the recipe. My ex mother in law used to put this on red velvet cake because we were not fond of cream cheese frosting which is normally used on it.

WHITE (FLOUR) FROSTING

3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Cook flour and milk together until thick like paste; then cool in refrigerator. Mix sugar,
butter and vanilla together.
Add paste then beat in electric mixer until smooth.
The longer you beat it the better it gets.

Reaction score
I don't think I've heard of a flour paste frosting before! I'm intrigued :)

Reaction score
Well I didn't have a great experience with the one carrot cake I tried from scratch. It was quite a mess in my humble opinion. Since that time I have not returned to trying it. My box carrot cake on the other hand was delightful. I am not a frosting person but I am happy with the raisins.

Reaction score
My husband sounds like your family @joycemcgregor - he absolutely can't stand raisins in cakes, cookies, anything like that! I don't mind them myself, but I don't add them in to carrot cake for his sake. We usually just have walnuts in there. Never thought about using cranberries before, but I don't know if my husband would be too keen on them either! I think it's a textural thing for him, and he would probably say that dried cranberries are too close to raisins in texture!

Reaction score
Flour frosting? Intriguing, yes. The only carrot cake I've ever liked is my granny's. I'll see if I can get that recipe! :D

Reaction score
Ever since I always want to try baking a carrot cake but up to now I still don't know how to start and what are the right ingredients that I will need. I want a recipe that had been tested and proven to be good. Like this one that is being shared in this thread.. the "white flour frosting" this is something new to me... Thanks for sharing and I had learned something new today. :)

Reaction score
Flour frosting? Intriguing, yes. The only carrot cake I've ever liked is my granny's. I'll see if I can get that recipe! :D
My ex mother in law always made this frosting and put it on red velvet cake. When whipped up enough, it is light and fluffy, almost like whipped cream. I love it on any kind of cake,, I have even added cocoa powder to it to make a chocolate frosting and used different kinds of extracts in it.

Reaction score
I don't think I've heard of a flour paste frosting before! I'm intrigued :)
My ex mother in law always made this frosting and put it on red velvet cake. When whipped up enough, it is light and fluffy, almost like whipped cream. I love it on any kind of cake,, I have even added cocoa powder to it to make a chocolate frosting and used different kinds of extracts in it.

Reaction score
Wow! I've never heard of flour frosting before either! I do love carrot cake and I like the raisins! I'm not a big fan of dried cranberries so I don't think I would substitute that. My daughter thinks it is disgusting that someone would put carrots in cake! My husband and I love it and tried to tell her it doesn't taste like carrots - but she won't "bite"!! Lol

Reaction score
That sounds about right for children! I do not tell my grandson it has carrots in it, in fact, I do not even call it carrot cake! The same with zuchinni bread. He loves it, but would not touch it if he knew it had zuchinni in it.

Reaction score
That sounds about right for children! I do not tell my grandson it has carrots in it, in fact, I do not even call it carrot cake! The same with zuchinni bread. He loves it, but would not touch it if he knew it had zuchinni in it.

Yep, we always referred to such things as spice cake or spice bread. I do love the fact that they have real vegetables in them yet are still delicious as treats. My mom also made a carrot cake recipe that used baby food carrots in it. If you use the all natural baby food without added salt or sugar, I think that would still work.

Reaction score
how did the cake come out Joyce ? if you would,can you post the recipe ? I haven't have a good carrot cake in a very long time,I want to try one from scratch and I do like it when the recipe comes from someone who has actually tried it

I am going to give your flour frosting a try too,I assume that is self Rising Four in the recipe ?

Reaction score

Should have created a thread called "Flour frosting", it would have gotten probably more attention -- seeing as carrot cakes are frequent subjects, but it really is the first time I had ever heard about frosting made from flour paste!

Do you think it could be veganized with coco butter or margarine instead of butter and coconut milk (or other milk) instead of cow's milk? I'm curious.

Reaction score
I still need a recipe for a good home made carrot cake,I will use your Flour Frosting,if I can get a recipe :)

Reaction score
This recipe sounds amazing! Thanks a lot for sharing! I totally love carrot cake, it's actually one of my favorite cakes :) I also don't like raisins that much, so I might try adding dry cranberries next time instead :) i always only add pecans, carrot and pineapple to my carrot cakes ;)

Ask a Question