Cauliflower mashed potatoes?

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? Does it work? Do they taste right?
I want to try it. I love cauliflower, and I love mashed potatoes... so this would be great for us.
Also, do you have a recipe?

Reaction score
My mom told me about this, but I have never tried it. Maybe I will give it a shot and see how I like it.

Reaction score
Well as cauliflower, I would hope it doesn't taste exactly the same.. but I have been meaning to try it out. I've only seen recipes with potatoes mixed in,whereas I'd like to play around without them to make it it's own dish. I won't be eating any sort of dairy until I find it straight from a farm either (don't know about anywhere else, but it's not allowed here) so that makes things even tougher lol.

Reaction score
I've never made it, but someone made it during a dinner party I went to. The theme was to make things that had no grains! I found the cauliflower mashed potatoes to be delicious; it doesn't taste like your average cauliflower or mashed potato, the taste is so unique! You could've fooled me with the texture and the look of it any day.

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? Does it work? Do they taste right?
I want to try it. I love cauliflower, and I love mashed potatoes... so this would be great for us.
Also, do you have a recipe?
We just had this last night. All we do is boil the cauliflower in water till tender then we add butter and salt and pepper. I really like it so I would recommend you try it.

Reaction score
I am sure it would tasted good. I once made a cauliflower au gratin instead of potatoes and a friend of mine who hates vegetables said it tasted like a great mac and cheese. I would suspect the cauliflower mashed would similarly taste well either alone or mixed. I do love cauliflower though and even eat it raw with dip, so maybe I am biased.

Reaction score
Another idea: We tried the cauliflower rice craze last night and it was delicious! Just grate it up, cook it up and use whatever you would use on rice (we made chinese style rice with it). Soooooo good, I actually prefer it to rice now, which is so awesome because I was looking for a replacement.. hadn't had rice in ages.

Reaction score
Wow! Sounds good! I too love cauliflower - but I don't think I could get my kids to eat it! LOL
My son - maybe - but most definitely not my daughter! She is the definition of picky!!! :)
I've heard that mashed cauliflower does taste good and that it doesn't taste like it would if you just steamed it.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Reaction score
I cant wait to try this recipe! My husband really dislikes Cauliflower but perhaps I can trick him into liking them being cooked like this! I also saw a recipe where you grate the cauliflower, place it in a skillet with a cup of water and when the water cooks down it cooks up like rice! Add some butter and salt, healthier option!

Reaction score
I will definitely be trying this out. I am always looking for new things to cook that are healthy and I am looking forward to making this.

Reaction score
I've seen this recipe before and my friend tried it out. She told me it tasted nothing like cauliflower and tasted better than potato. Now she makes Mashed Cauliflower instead of the potato variety.

Reaction score
My husband refuses to even entertain this idea. Does it have the consistency of a mashed potato so if I made it he might not notice??

Reaction score
I've heard good things about these, especially for those on a low carb diet. Mashed potatoes would be one of the things, next to breads, that I would start craving right off the bat if I were on one. I tried it once with some frozen cauliflower we had, and they came out way too watery, so I had to toss it. I suppose if you are going to try it, go with fresh cauliflower and be careful not to overcook them.

I've also tried it with mashed parsnips, but that was awful. They had a bizarre stringy gluey texture to them, and a strange medicinal taste - almost like menthol or mint.

Reaction score
It is amazing. I actually found a great recipe/guidance about it on deadspin: http://deadspin.com/how-to-make-mashed-cauliflower-because-it-goddamn-tast-1443732709 The author offers several options in seasoning this mashed mixture.

I tried it by incorporating cream cheese into the steamed cauliflower via the food processor, and baked the mixture as instructed by the recipe in that link. It had a light texture that I wasn't expecting, but it was absolutely delicious.

Reaction score
We did this once! though rather than mashed potato we used boiled potatoes and added a whole bunch of cheese to it. it was so yummy. Definitely worth trying out!

Reaction score
I can't wait to try this out. It will be a while before I can do this since I have been eating a lot of my meals at my mom's house on the weekends and I hardly have time during the week. My mom can't have cauliflower so we can't make it at her house but I hope to be able to try this out after the holidays.

Reaction score
There are also recipes for cauliflower pizza crusts, for people on gluten free and/or low carb diets. I have yet to try it though, but it looks rather interesting. Apparently you just shred the cauliflower on a grater, then briefly steam or blanch it. From there you mix it with some egg and cheeses then form it into a dough like ball, and then press it out onto your pizza pan.

I'm curious to try this out, but I couldn't yet bring myself to wasting a whole head of cauliflower like that if I don't like it.

Ask a Question