Celebration cake recipes

Reaction score
afternoon all,

Could you share with me your best celebration cake recipes. I am very much a home baker and decorator. I have 3 children and always do their birthday cakes. My decorating skills are ok but I feel like my baking always falls just slightly short of the mark... the last cake I made was my sons 6th birthday flash cake in April and the sponge was ok but a little on the dry side...

Help please!!

I use a kitchenaid stand mixer... should i hand mix the flour??

Thanks in advance

p.s.... i have my sons 5th birthday in 2 weeks (most likely fondant covered) and my daughters 1st birthday (most likely buttercream covered) in just over 3 weeks.... its going to be busy!

Reaction score
afternoon all,

Could you share with me your best celebration cake recipes. I am very much a home baker and decorator. I have 3 children and always do their birthday cakes. My decorating skills are ok but I feel like my baking always falls just slightly short of the mark... the last cake I made was my sons 6th birthday flash cake in April and the sponge was ok but a little on the dry side...

Help please!!

I use a kitchenaid stand mixer... should i hand mix the flour??

Thanks in advance

p.s.... i have my sons 5th birthday in 2 weeks (most likely fondant covered) and my daughters 1st birthday (most likely buttercream covered) in just over 3 weeks.... its going to be busy!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

May I ask what characteristics you’re looking for in a cake? Recommending a cake is difficult without know what you hope for in a cake. Every cake type has different characteristics. A sponge will be different from a pound, butter, chiffon, and angel food cake.

Reaction score
One of the most popular cakes I've ever made is this one: Birthday custard sponge

I've made it a few times now, my husband loves it. The only changes I make are to double the buttercream and halve the chocolate topping (which may need to be loosened with a little hot water)

It's a relatively simple cake but it's delicious and always goes down well. I guess it depends on whether you can get custard powder though! I know it's popular here in the UK but I'm not sure about elsewhere in the world.

Here's how it turned out for me:

custard sponge.JPG

Re whether to hand-mix the flour, I always do. I use my electric hand mixer for creaming together the butter, sugar, and eggs etc, but once I add the flour I always switch to a spatula and do it by hand. I think it's an easy way to avoid overworking the gluten in the flour.

Ask a Question