Chapati

Reaction score
As i live in a non-chapati-country, i want to make them myself.. I know there are just 2 ingredients needed, but i wonder if anyone has some nice tips on this one. I cannot find good wheat so i bought grains and grinding it myself.
So, does anyone allready made chapati's and do you have some handy tips making them?

Reaction score
Yes meeeeeeee! This is a staple from my home country and I have been making them since age 10!!!
I use chapatti flour which is available from most Asian store. Which country are you in? You take 2 cups of chapatti flour and male a well in the middle add water gradually and knead or you could use a stand mixer as I do and use the dough hook. Let the dough rest for half and hour then divide the dough into snooker ball size balls , I normally have 1 and hubby would have 2.
Make a ball flatten and roll out dusting with four to prevent sticking roll till about 3 mm thick and take chapatti onto hands flipping from one hand to other till its bigger and flip into a chapati pan or you can use a non stick frying pan. Look on youtube you will see many demos it's easier to watch that explain in words lol

I do t know about the grains you mentioned as I always buy chapati fair easily available here in the UK in Asian store even Asda sell it.

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply!! I'm from Belgium and it's hard to find certain ingredients in the town where i live. I bought today whole wheat wich i grind myself. But i will go to search for the chapati flour. Maybe i can find some in the healtfoodshop here in town. Thanks again!!! :)

Reaction score
Hhmmm are you in Brussels by any chance? If yes then there is an Arab area (not sure of name) where you could find it i say this because my uncle and several others live in Brussels and we have eaten at theirs when visiting and we had chapattis so they got the flour from somewhere!
If not then good luck I am sure you can find it you just need to find a town or city with Asians Indians pakistani population and there is sure to be Asian food store there.

Reaction score
Sadly i don't live in Brussels:(. I live at the other side of the country in a less populated area... I know that in Brussels the population is much more foreign, and also much more foreign stores. I traveled a lot and learned a lot of things:), but in the small town i live there aren't many of those stores. So i'll have to be very creative to make the things i learned to bake in other country's, to make them at home... I'm stubborn enough so i will get this done one way or the other.. ;)

Ask a Question