Cheap - N - Easy

Reaction score
For you not so ambitious bakers out there who might like to make a "wow" dessert once in a while....

Cheap N Easy desserts.

Easy Boston Cream Cake

Use one box of vanilla cake mix.
Use only HALF of the mix to spread over the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan.
Be sure to only bake it for half the time or less. You will need to keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.

When that layer is done, flip it onto a cookie sheet covered in wax paper.

Bake the other half of the cake in the 9x13 pan.

Once baked, let it cool completely.

Spread 2 cups of vanilla pudding (already made or instant) over cake layer in pan.
Place other cake layer over pudding.
Spread ready made chocolate fudge frosting over top cake layer.
Place in fridge for an hour or longer.

**The same can be done to make a Black Forest cake.
Just use chocolate fudge cake mix, canned pie cherry mix, and cool whip for topping.

Reaction score
Banana Split "Cake"

2 Boxes of instant cheesecake mix (with crust)
3 bananas
1 small can crushed pineapple
1 large tub Cook Whip
Chocolate Syrup
Maraschino Cherries
Chopped nut mix

Mix the instant cheesecake crust as directed, and add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix.
Pack mixture down inside a 9x13 cake pan.

Slice bananas and cover crust in bottom of pan.

Mix cheesecake mix per package directions, MINUS 1/4 cup of the liquid.
Pour cheescake mix over bananas.
Place "cake" covered, inside fridge for at least 1 hour.

Drain crushed pineapple and sprinkle bits all over top of "cake".

Spread Cool Whip topping over entire "cake" and fill up the rest of the pan.

Drizzle chocolate syrup diagonally from one corner to the other. Then diagonally from the other corner to the opposite corner. You should end up with a lattice work look on top of the "cake".

Sprinkle finely chopped nut mix across top of "cake".

Garnish with maraschino cherries every couple of inches on top.

Set inside fridge for at least one hour.

My Aunt made this one time at a Family Reunion, everybody went nuts for it. I myself, at most of it!!!!
LOL

Reaction score
Brownie Bundt Cake

1 box of your favorite Brownie mix.
(if you add nuts and other stuff , you can still do that)
2 extra eggs
1/4 cup extra oil
Powdered/Confectioners sugar

Mix brownie mix as directed on package.
Add the 2 extra eggs and oil while mixing.
Add your other stuff, if you are adding to it.

Spray fancy Bundt pan with cooking or baking spray really well.
Pour mixture into a fancy Bundt pan (regular if you don't have a fancy one)

Bake at 350 degrees for at least 30 minutes. You will need to keep an eye on it.

When top of cake starts to "crack", you want to stick a toothpick in it to see if it is still gooey on the inside.
If it is, turn oven OFF, and let cake stay in oven for at least 10 more minutes.

You don't want the toothpick coming out completely wet, but you don't want it completely dry either.
You want it just moist enough to stick to the toothpick just a bit.

Take out of oven and let cool for 15 minutes.

Turn onto plate and let cool completely.

Sprinkle powdered sugar on top before serving.

If you want something a little more fancier--

Make some whipped cream to go onto your sliced brownie cake.

1 pint whipping cream
1 Tablespoon sugar
4 Tablespoons Raspberry or Blackberry Jelly (yes, strawberry too)

Whip cream in cold metal bowl until soft peaks form.
Whip in sugar.
Whip in Jelly until stiff peaks form.

2 Big tablespoons of berry whipped cream on a slice of brownie cake will have people "ooooing".

Reaction score
Thanks a million ChesterV. I have to tell you that I have never really made a lot of desserts and it would be great to not have to run out and get desserts every time when I have guest.

Reaction score
Thanks a million ChesterV. I have to tell you that I have never really made a lot of desserts and it would be great to not have to run out and get desserts every time when I have guest.

Keep a box of cake mix or brownie mix in the pantry, they will last for up to 2 years usually.
You can make something really quick if you want something sweet or are having surprise guests.

Reaction score
Keep a box of cake mix or brownie mix in the pantry, they will last for up to 2 years usually.
You can make something really quick if you want something sweet or are having surprise guests.

I used to always have cake mix but once I joined the forum and started baking from scratch I stopped buying cake mixes to a large extent. Felt like I was a pro so did not need them:). I saw a chocolate one in the cupboards recently. I wondered if it was still good for use.

Reaction score
I used to always have cake mix but once I joined the forum and started baking from scratch I stopped buying cake mixes to a large extent. Felt like I was a pro so did not need them:). I saw a chocolate one in the cupboards recently. I wondered if it was still good for use.

There is a code printed somewhere on the cake mix box. If the whole thing is not entirely in code, you should see some sort of date. This is the "sell by" date, but as long as the mix has been stored in a cool, dry place, it can last a couple of years before the active ingredients in it go flat.

And even then, there are plenty of things you can make with flat cake mix!!!!

Reaction score
Easy Brunch Biscuits

(You can make your own biscuit dough or you can buy canned biscuits)
You can adjust this recipe to make however many Brunch Biscuits you want.

1 "can" of super flaky biscuits (I like Pillsbury buttermilk flaky biscuits)
1/2 of an 8 oz. package of cream cheese
1/2 cup of Rotel

Whip cream cheese until smooth, add Rotel and mix together.

Flatten out each biscuit in your hands, and place into a cupcake pan, pressing around the sides of each cup for each biscuit...you can leave some sticking out over the top edge, because these will be pretty big.

Place one tablespoon full of Rotel into each biscuit cup, or as much as you would like it to hold. Be careful not to put too much, as it will run off the sides when baking.

Bake as directed on biscuit "can", or if you are using homemade dough, bake until lightly brown.

Take out of oven. Serve warm.

You can even sprinkle some grated cheese over the top if you want.

Reaction score
Easy Banana Pudding Cream Pie

1 premade Graham Cracker crust
1 Banana
1 small box of instant (or cook) vanilla or banana flavored pudding mix
1/4 of a 8 ounce block of cream cheese (room temp)
1 small tub of Cool Whip

Make the pudding according to the directions on the box, using HALF LESS of the liquid it calls for.
Once the pudding is done, let it cool. Once cool, mix in the cream cheese. Pour into air tight container and place in fridge over night.

When ready to make the pie, take the pudding out of the fridge and whisk it till its all broken up and creamy.
Fold in the Cool Whip.

Slice up the banana and place the banana slices all over the bottom of the pie crust.
Place the pudding mixture into the pie crust with the bananas on it.
Let sit in fridge for about an hour before serving.

Double-Banana-Cream-Pie.ashx

Reaction score
These are really cheap and easy to make desserts. And all the ingredients are also simple and can be always available if you will have them at home right away when you need it. I like the easy Banana Pudding Pie and I will surely try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
I made a really easy banana split ice cream cake once. I just alternated layers of vanilla ice cream with toppings. I used strawberry preserves, chocolate syrup, and pineapple. I topped it off with bananas.

The easiest way is to completely open the package of ice cream and cut slices of it to place in the pan. Once you construct the cake, freeze it for a couple of hours. I put the banana slices on just before serving.

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that I'm not ambitious as a baker, but being new to the whole baking experience, I do prefer to make the easier and simpler recipes for now and graduate to the harder and more complicated ones later. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It really looks great.

Reaction score
I don't know why banana pudding is one of my favorites, because to be honest I really have not had it all that much, but just seeing those images above makes me really want some. I cannot argue with having an easy and cheap way to do it too, so that is nice. Seems like a good dessert to keep in mind.

Reaction score
I don't know why banana pudding is one of my favorites, because to be honest I really have not had it all that much, but just seeing those images above makes me really want some. I cannot argue with having an easy and cheap way to do it too, so that is nice. Seems like a good dessert to keep in mind.

Because banana pudding rocks. :)

My son in law, brother in law, and I, are the only ones around here that like it though, so I don't have it (or make it) often either. I have a good excuse when everyone comes over for holidays though. I make "them" banana pudding or banana cream pie. Just for them.. ;)

***I also forgot to add to my other post that you can add a layer of brownies to the banana split cake to form the base of it, if you like. Cookie crumb crust works too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that I'm not ambitious as a baker, but being new to the whole baking experience, I do prefer to make the easier and simpler recipes for now and graduate to the harder and more complicated ones later. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It really looks great.
Well you have company here. I see easy and I run to the thread or the recipe. I've been at it for more than a year now and sometimes I think I should step out of my comfort zone and I will, just not right now.:)

Reaction score
This recipe goes by many different names, and has many variations, but basically its all the same thing.

To some people it's a type of fruit cake, to others it's a type of cobbler. No matter what you think it is, its pretty good.....especially with ice cream on it!

2 cups flour
1 stick of butter, melted
1 can of fruit cocktail (any kind)
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon of cinnamon

Sift flour and cinnamon together into a bowl.
Whisk in the brown sugar.
Mix in the fruit cocktail to the dry ingredients.
Mix in the butter to that mixture.

Pour into baking dish.
Bake on 350 until light brown on top.

Serve hot with ice cream or whipped cream.

DSC04645-001.jpg

Reaction score
Yum, cheap and easy works for me. I love the idea of the first one, the Boston Cream Cake/Pie. I might have to try that around the holidays, when the temperatures have cooled off and I'm inspired to bake the the holiday visitors. Making something in batches also works for me, since I often have to stop to rest in between, and I'm sure I could make the cakes and set aside to cool, then make the filling even the next day if I had to.

Ask a Question