Cheese and Vegemite Scrolls

Reaction score
One of my favorite things from Australia!

Vegemite seems to be an acquired taste for most people but I love it!

If you don't live in Australia (like I don't right now!) a lot of international food stores sell Vegemite!

Ingredients
  • 3 cups SR flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 50g butter
  • 375ml milk
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons Vegemite
  • 200g grated tasty cheese
Instructions
  • Sift flour and salt into a bowl then rub through butter. Stir in enough milk to make soft dough. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface, and then roll to form a 40 cm x 25 cm rectangle.
  • Spread the Vegemite over the dough then sprinkle over 3/4 of the cheese. Roll up along the long side to enclose the cheese. Cut 10 x 4cm pieces from the roll and place close together, cut side up on a greased baking tray.
  • Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in a hot oven 220ºC for 15-20 minutes or until cooked and golden.
vegemite175.jpg

I know "concentrated yeast extract" sounds terrible but it's delicious to me!

maxresdefault.jpg

Reaction score
I've never had Vegemite, but I hear it's really strong stuff.
I think someone told me once, it tastes like old, fermented beer.
But online says it supposed to taste "yeasty".

I hate beer, but I like the taste of yeast. I love extra yeasty bread.

I've looked for this in the stores in my area before, and never found any.

I didn't know Kraft made this. Maybe I will see if they have free samples they can send.

Reaction score
I've never had Vegemite, but I hear it's really strong stuff.
I think someone told me once, it tastes like old, fermented beer.
But online says it supposed to taste "yeasty".

I hate beer, but I like the taste of yeast. I love extra yeasty bread.

I've looked for this in the stores in my area before, and never found any.

I didn't know Kraft made this. Maybe I will see if they have free samples they can send.

You should have seen my husband's face when he first tried it. I'm Australian by birth, he's from California. He looked like I had just fed him poison! Granted, he did take a giant spoonful of it (it's very strong tasting and I don't think he was expecting it to taste the way it did!)

I think that the best way of describing it is that it tastes like bouillon - kind of meaty, kind of vegetable-ish, but super concentrated. So it's very very strong tasting. But when you put it on toast, or something like that, you spread it so thinly that it doesn't taste bad!

Reaction score
We have Marmite and Vegemite in the UK and it is an acquired taste. I do love it also as a grilled cheese, but another idea is to do cheese and Marmite muffins or scones. Then once toasted to spread Marmite/Vegemite on them too.

Reaction score
I have tried Vegemite once in my life, and I honestly cannot remember if I liked it or not. I know that I acted like I did not like, just because the circumstances were strange, but something deep in me thinks that I was seeing it wrong, and that I really would like it. I need to give it another try.

Ask a Question