Cheese-less Pizza?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried cheese-less pizza?

I'm lactose intolerant so I haven't had cheese in a long time (I use to eat it when I was younger but walked around looking like I was three months pregnant all the time from the bloating lol) but recently I discovered that pizza can taste just as good (to me anyway) without cheese! I was so happy to discover that and never thought I would like it without cheese.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it would taste good. I never tried it knowingly. My favorite part of pizza is the sauce anyways. I always order extra sauce, so for me the cheese could go, but not the sauce :D

Reaction score
My Dad used to order cheese-less pizzas all the time as he was on a low calcium diet. It was funny because the pizza places ALWAYS questioned us when we ordered that way, as if they couldn't conceive that anyone would possibly want pizza without cheese.

At any rate, I'm glad you discovered that you can enjoy pizza without the cheese. Why give up the entire thing simply because you have to avoid one ingredient? And who wants a sore belly?!

Reaction score
How does cheeseless pizza work? Is it just crust and sauce or do you use some kind of soy cheese substitute?

Reaction score
I personally have not tried cheese-less pizza but my boyfriend always gets it because he stopped liking cheese all of a sudden (do not know what that is about) so I know what it looks like. It just looks unappealing to me but I'm guessing it is not horrible to eat.

Reaction score
Cheese-less pizza can definitely work, especially if you are using seafood as topping. Are you making your own crust? You can make it a little heavier with semolina, then add your sauce, thinly sliced onions, anchovies, some mussels, clams, lots of garlic and parsley, a little shrimp and some fresh calamari.

Reaction score
I make my own cheese-less pizza. There are two types of cheese-less pizza that I make. One is to use a lot of pasta sauce and a combination of vegetables. The other one is to make my own fake cheese ie using soft tofu blend with lemon juice and mix with a little nutritional yeast. You can surf around for vegan cheese, there are many types of recipes on it. I have also seen cheese that are made from fruits at the grocery store but haven't give them a try yet.

Whether it is a cheese-less pizza or a cheese pizza, they are both equally delicious depending on how you make them and I think that we shouldn't compare them because they each have their own taste. I would say I love both of them.

Reaction score
I've actually heard it can be really good. I mean breadsticks are basically pizza crust with some garlic on them, and that is delicious. What toppings do you put on your cheeseless pizza? I had dairy free pizza that has some fake cheese on it, and it wasn't bad. It also had tomatoes and onions.

Reaction score
I used to work at a school where we made vegan food, and they could not have cheese in their pizza. I don't think it is nearly as good without it, but it is certainly doable. We used to substitute thin slices of tofu on the pizza, along with the veggie meat, and regular pizza non-meat toppings, like mushrooms, and I added a little extra pizza sauce on it to keep it from being too dry.
Another way it might work, is to use one of the creamy toppings, kind of like the Dominoes Philly Cheesesteak has. I think it has Parmesan in it, but you could just make an Alfredo sauce, and use that.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it would taste good. I never tried it knowingly. My favorite part of pizza is the sauce anyways. I always order extra sauce, so for me the cheese could go, but not the sauce :D
I agree with you! The sauce is the best part! I almost always order extra sauce on my pizza! I think with the right sauce and a good amount of veggies, pizza would still taste great without the cheese! Domino's and Pizza Hut offer a really amazing garlic and butter flavored crust. With that extra flavor, I think it would really help enhance the taste of the pizza, even without cheese.

Reaction score
Actually, when I was a child, I preferred my pizza cheeseless lol. My family could order whatever, because I would just tare the toppings off regardless. I loved it. But then I fell in love with cheese.

Now I don't ingest dairy at all. Have you tried any of the vegan cheeses? I wouldn't call most of them cheese lol, but some are pretty good and you can make your own too.

Reaction score
Cheese-less pizza is definitely healthier. If you go to a mom and pop restaurant that sells this food, it's usually topped with tons of veggies.

My preference though is the classic pepperoni and cheese pizza. It is definitely a top choice for comfort food.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried cheese-less pizza?

I'm lactose intolerant so I haven't had cheese in a long time (I use to eat it when I was younger but walked around looking like I was three months pregnant all the time from the bloating lol) but recently I discovered that pizza can taste just as good (to me anyway) without cheese! I was so happy to discover that and never thought I would like it without cheese.

Have you ever tried a rolled pizza? You can load it with plenty of sauce, muhrooms, meats, onions and just make them small and thin, (a little cheat is using tortillas instead of making dough if you're feeling lazy) wrap them in foil and pop into the oven. If you want a crust on the outside then uncover for 5mins and brush some oil over the top.

Reaction score
Ah man, cheese-less pizza, I don't think I could eat that, pizza must have cheese, it's like a main ingredient but I understand that you can't really eat it, I feel for ya man;)

Reaction score
My dad has always hated cheese so I've had cheeseless pizzas a couple of times. They're pretty nice, especially with lots of veggies :)

Reaction score
Cheese is my favourite part of any pizza, so I don't know if I'd forego it entirely. Silken tofu might be a decent substitute. Have you looked at vegan cookbooks for ideas?

Reaction score
There's a recipe in this month's Martha Stewart Living for a cheeseless pizza with pureed yellow and red tomatoes, olive oil, salt and dough. You can try Googling Two-tomato Pizza.

Reaction score
One of my favorite styles of pizza that I grew up eating has very little cheese on it, and would likely be good too without any cheese. In our neck of the woods it's known as "Brier Hill" style pizza, but that's because it's named after a street in what was once a "little Italy" section around here. Elsewhere I think it's referred to as "Sicilian style" pizza. It's basically just sauce, roasted bell peppers and a little romano cheese sprinkled on top. The bell peppers and the sauce are the star of the show, because without a blanked of cheese over them, they become more concentrated and sweeter during the baking process.

You could also dress up the crust a bit with some garlic salt, margarine and herbs for extra flavor, or even add anchovies (as long as you're not freaked out by them, lol) for a salty kick in place of the cheese.

I'm also wondering if perhaps some "riced" cauliflower tossed in some garlic salt and olive oil sprinkled over the pizza might simulate some cheese a bit, if it gets all toasty and salty when baked.

Reaction score
Well, I just read about someone who uses olive oil and pesto instead of the sauce, but not sure the cheese could go for me. After all that's my fav part of the pizza! The cheese really makes it special!

Ask a Question