Cheesecake recipe modification

Reaction score
hello all! My very first post here is in regards to a cheesecake recipe modification!

I have been using one cheesecake recipe for a long time, I don't like to differ from it because it's the best and everyone loves it(not my own recipe). It's just a simple New York cheesecake but soooo good so any time someone requests a different type of cheesecake, flavored or whatever, I just use the recipe as a base and add chocolate, white chocolate, pumpkin spice, etc.

My brother asked me to make a coconut cheesecake, so my question is could I just add coconut cream/milk/extract to it and have a good result? The original recipe has flour and sour cream in it, so I'm concerned that with the addition of coconut cream/milk, it'll be too runny. Could I substitute coconut cream/milk for sour cream, or use both and be fine? I'm really trying to stick to the original recipe and not find a totally new one, I trust this one and know it's good. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Reaction score
Hi, it'll be easier to tell if you could post the recipe or a link to it. I wouldn't mind knowing what your fail-proof basic is! I searched and found this recipe for a coconut cheesecake to get an idea. I wasn't sure whether it would have flaked coconut through the entire cake, or just coconut cream, milk, etc. This recipe calls for three cups flaked coconut, toasted (which really gives lovely flavor and texture) but half of it is worked into the graham crust, and the other half is in a ring around the edge on top. This sounds great, as I love toasted coconut on top, it hits the roof of the mouth with that great flavor. The recipe calls for 1 15oz can of cream of coconut, which is liquid, but fairly thick. How much sour cream did your recipe use?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/coconut-cheesecake-recipe-1970803

I'd do a basic comparison to your failproof one. Are the cream cheese, egg, etc. proportions similar? I find that cheesecake recipes can be all over the place, from thick and dense to light and mousse-like, and of course the no-bake varieties.

One thing I think I'd stay away from is the coconut extract flavoring, at least the I've tried (might have been McCormick), which just had an off-taste to it.

Your brother's request might mean he's had a coconut cheesecake he liked, and he might be able to describe whether it had flaked coconut in the custard part, or not.

Reaction score
Hi, it'll be easier to tell if you could post the recipe or a link to it. I wouldn't mind knowing what your fail-proof basic is! I searched and found this recipe for a coconut cheesecake to get an idea. I wasn't sure whether it would have flaked coconut through the entire cake, or just coconut cream, milk, etc. This recipe calls for three cups flaked coconut, toasted (which really gives lovely flavor and texture) but half of it is worked into the graham crust, and the other half is in a ring around the edge on top. This sounds great, as I love toasted coconut on top, it hits the roof of the mouth with that great flavor. The recipe calls for 1 15oz can of cream of coconut, which is liquid, but fairly thick. How much sour cream did your recipe use?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/coconut-cheesecake-recipe-1970803

I'd do a basic comparison to your failproof one. Are the cream cheese, egg, etc. proportions similar? I find that cheesecake recipes can be all over the place, from thick and dense to light and mousse-like, and of course the no-bake varieties.

One thing I think I'd stay away from is the coconut extract flavoring, at least the I've tried (might have been McCormick), which just had an off-taste to it.

Your brother's request might mean he's had a coconut cheesecake he liked, and he might be able to describe whether it had flaked coconut in the custard part, or not.

Hi thank you for your reply!

This is the recipe I have been using. https://www.somethingswanky.com/new-york-style-cheesecake/

What I was thinking was to do a coconut inside and then work some flakes into the crust, do a whipped coconut cream on top and then some more toasted flakes to garnish.

Reaction score
Me again. I had an afterthought, what if you could *concentrate* cream of coconut? So I Googled it, and found there is such a thing as coconut cream concentrate, also known as coconut butter. There is even a make-your-own version, made much like peanut butter, by processing flaked coconut or coconut flesh, and adding coconut oil to make it a spreadable consistency. http://realeverything.com/make-your-own-coconut-cream-concentrate-recipe/

This might be a way to get intense coconut flavor in your existing recipe without adding all the liquid of a whole can of cream-of-coconut. Actually, for the cheesecake, I'd skip the coconut oil and just process the flaked coconut until fine, then add a little cream of coconut. I think that would impart more flavor than the coconut oil that is filtered and used for regular cooking.

Coconut milk, in my opinion, is not ideal for this recipe as its flavor is typically mild, and it's too wet to impart the flavor into a cheesecake.

I imagine if you had made a peanut butter cheesecake from your recipe, you might add about the same amount of this coconut concentrate as you would peanut butter.

Reaction score
If you want to preserve the integrity of your recipe, I’d recommend a coconut bakery emulsion. Extracts are alcohol based. Alcohol evaporates very quickly; taking both flavor and aroma with it.

Emulsions are water based, so don’t bake out as much. Check online at OliveNation or Amoretti.

OliveNation also sells super flavors, a more concentrated emulsion. I’ve never tried their super flavors, but their regular ones are a good quality.

The big box stores stock LorAnn coconut flavoring oil. I’ve never seen an emulsions stocked at any of these stores, but LorAnn also produces emulsions. I’ve never used the flavoring oil in a cheesecake. But I’ve used it in a butter cake. I think it has a very strong artificial taste. But you could experiment with it if you like.

Most coconut milks and coconut cream are very thin. And they are almost flavorless. So I think you’d end up having to stabilize your filling with a thickener, only to achieve little in flavor for the effort. I made a number of coconut cakes with coconut milk and cream, but never got much coconut flavor.

There’s a coconut cream brand called Coco Lopez that’s sold in liquor stores like BevMo. It’s designed for pina coladas, so more coconut flavor. Its the the cocktail mixer section. It’s very thick. I’ve used it in a coconut cake. So you could experiment with that. But it too has a bit of an artificial flavor, but not as bad as the LorAnn flavoring oils. I’ve seen other brands of coconut cream flavorings in the section for cocktail mixers, so if you can’t find Coco Lopez, there’s bound to,be some brand of coconut cream in the cocktail section.

You might try adding shredded coconut to the crust to help enhance the coconut flavor overall. We taste by scent. So the scent of the coconut in the crust will create a taste experience.

Reaction score
Thanks you guys for your help and suggestions! It is much appreciated!! I guess now I just have to decide which method to use, if I should make a tester... the coco Lopez sounds promising but my recipe has a bit of sugar in it so I'm worried it will be too sweet and artificial tasting. I also will read more about making coconut butter...

Reaction score
I'm more of a stickler for using the actual product.

If I were to make coconut cheesecake......which sounds yummie by the way............I'd take one cup of toasted dry coconut and puree the heck out of it, turning it into a powder, or at least as finely ground as possible. And just add that to the mixture.

I did that with some toasted black walnuts once, and OMG!!!! I made myself sick on eating that thing, it was SOOOO GOOOD! I did add 1/4 cup of cream to help with keeping the moisture content level so it didn't dry out while baking.

Another "trick" you can do to avoid changing the actual cheesecake recipe, is to enhance the crust. You could leave the cheesecake alone and just add some toasted coconut to the crust. My favorite is pureed pecans and a dash of cinnamon in the crust! OMG....sooooo goooood!!!

Another method would be to spoon in a layer of cheesecake, sprinkle some toasted coconut over that, put on another layer of cheesecake, sprinkle some more coconut, etc.... ending up with a the top layer of just cheesecake, and bake it like that. This method works really well for many things people want in cheesecakes.

Reaction score
Wow these are all such great suggestions! I am very appreciative of all of them! I cannot wait to tackle this challenge :D

Reaction score
Y'all need to stop, I am jonesing for coconut cheesecake now and I've never had coconut cheesecake! :)

Reaction score
IMG_7289.jpg

Ask a Question