Cheesecake turned out wet when frozen berries were added

Reaction score
Hi all!

I just baked a raspberry cheesecake by adding frozen raspberries (unthawed) into the batter. It turned out wet and was leaking moisture/liquid from the bottom.

I know it must be the extra moisture from the frozen raspberries. If I’ll like to continue using frozen raspberries instead of fresh ones, do I need to add a thickener like xanthan gum or corn starch to the batter to resolve the extra moisture issue? The original recipe doesn’t have a thickener.

Thank you for your advice!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thaw the berries. The batter surrounding the frozen berries was uncooked and wet because some of the time+temperature in the oven had to work on the frozen mass of the berries.

Frozen berries and fresh berries have the same amount of moisture. Frozen berries have arguably less moisture because some water will have been lost during freezing. Ice crystals puncture and cut fruit structure, this is why most thawed fruit is mush when thawed. Consider frozen then thawed blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. Some exceptions exist - fresh peaches hold their structure fairly well after thawing.

Ask a Question