Cherry Almond Sweet Bread

Reaction score
I was given some dehydrated cherries a few days ago and today I took them to my daughter who make such wonderful bread. She is going to make two loaves of cherry almond sweet bread,, one for her and one for me. I cannot wait to get mine!! Does anyone here make some different types of sweet breads?

Reaction score
I have had raisin bread and it is something that i loved dearly but i have never have the privilege of eating cherry almond bread; looking forward to hear how your bread turns out.

Reaction score
Both sound so good. I will have to see if I can find someone with figs. I have never tried persimmons, but am willing to try anything different. Thanks for the ideas.

Reaction score
Both sound so good. I will have to see if I can find someone with figs. I have never tried persimmons, but am willing to try anything different. Thanks for the ideas.
I use dried figs from Trader Joe's and plump them up in some boiling water.
I love fresh figs too much to put them in a recipe...they are so fleeting.

Reaction score
I was given some dehydrated cherries a few days ago and today I took them to my daughter who make such wonderful bread. She is going to make two loaves of cherry almond sweet bread,, one for her and one for me. I cannot wait to get mine!! Does anyone here make some different types of sweet breads?

I think your cherry almond bread sounds delicious! The only real sweetbreads I make are a cranberry and almond bread, and of course stollen at Christmas. I love stollen so much that make it throughout the year in a less rich form. Simply leave out the marzipan, and dont soak the fruits in rum. That way I don't feel too guilty about eating it throughout the year. ;)

I'd love to know more about that cherry and almond bread. :)

Reaction score
This is the recipe my daughter uses for her cherry almond bread. She just substitutes different dried fruits and different nuts depending on what she has on hand:

CHERRY ALMOND BREAD
1-cup sugar
2-eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
2-cups flour
1-tsp baking soda
1-tsp baking powder
1/2-tsp salt
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup chopped almonds
DIRECTIONS:
1.Pre-heat oven to 325-degrees.
2.Cream the oil, sugar and eggs together.
3.Whisk in the buttermilk.
4.Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together.
5.Fold the wet into the dry.
6.Pour into greased loaf pan.
7.Bake for 1-hour or until tests done.
8.Cool for about 10-minutes before removing from the pan.

The loaf she made for me was so good. She also makes an amazing pistachio bread using this same recipe.

Reaction score
This is the recipe my daughter uses for her cherry almond bread. She just substitutes different dried fruits and different nuts depending on what she has on hand:

CHERRY ALMOND BREAD
1-cup sugar
2-eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
2-cups flour
1-tsp baking soda
1-tsp baking powder
1/2-tsp salt
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup chopped almonds
DIRECTIONS:
1.Pre-heat oven to 325-degrees.
2.Cream the oil, sugar and eggs together.
3.Whisk in the buttermilk.
4.Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together.
5.Fold the wet into the dry.
6.Pour into greased loaf pan.
7.Bake for 1-hour or until tests done.
8.Cool for about 10-minutes before removing from the pan.

The loaf she made for me was so good. She also makes an amazing pistachio bread using this same recipe.

Thank you so much for this recipe evelynmcgregor! I've been thinking about that bread ever since you mentioned it...I have all of these ingredients to hand, and will be making it this weekend.

I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Reaction score
I hope the bread is as good as the one my daughter makes. I took her some dried cranberries this morning and she is going to make cranberry/orange bread. It sounds so very good.

Reaction score
I was gifted with a wonderful loaf of orange walnut bread that uses the same recipe,,, just dried cranberries and orange zest instead of the cherries and almonds. It is so good with my morning coffee. You can also make jalapeno cheese bread with this recipe. Just leave out the sugar, fruit and nuts and add the jalapenos and grated cheddar or monteray jack cheese.

Reaction score
The cherry almond bread was divine!! I had hoped to show you a photograph, but I'm afraid it was gobbled up pretty quickly. I think it's going to be a big hit in our house, and my mother in law is eager to try it too. :)

I like the sound of the cranberry and orange version - I tend to go a bit mad around Christmas time with cranberry and orange everything, so I think this would make a lovely Christmas morning breakfast treat. And jalapeno and cheese......oh, that does sound good! :cool::p:D

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of the jalapeno cheese bread,, to spicy for me... ;but I like to leave out any fruit and just put pistachios in the bread.

Reaction score
Oh I love anything spicy! My husband is always shocked by my level of tolerance for hot food. ;) I'm going to try it at the weekend.

BTW, evelyn, I thought I'd share some pictures of my sourdoughs, and how they're doing at the moment. Both look really well. The one on the left is white - I started that one myself, and the other is rye from my local bakery.

Attachments

• IMG_20140828_155101.jpg
    IMG_20140828_155101.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_20140828_155230.jpg
    IMG_20140828_155230.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 472
Reaction score
Both of your sourdoughs look really good. The one I have is from white flour and I got it from my ex mother in law. She has had hers for over 50 yrs and I am not sure where it came from. One of my daughters also has a start from her sour dough and makes the best bread with it. I have made pancakes, waffles and biscuits from mine with great success.

Reaction score
That sounds so good I used to love cherries but then I developed a bad allergy to them out of nowhere. Recipes like this one really make me mis my cherries.

Reaction score
My daughter is allergic to cherries so she is unable to eat the cherry almond bread, however; she loves the other breads I make from the basic recipe, especially the cranberry orange and the pistachio bread. Due to her allergy to both cherries and coconut, I rarely make anything using these things. I like baking for her and my grandson, so I try to make things we all can eat, but occasionally I do need my "fix' using one of those two ingredients.

Reaction score
Both of your sourdoughs look really good. The one I have is from white flour and I got it from my ex mother in law. She has had hers for over 50 yrs and I am not sure where it came from. One of my daughters also has a start from her sour dough and makes the best bread with it. I have made pancakes, waffles and biscuits from mine with great success.

Thanks, evelyn. I'd love to get one that's that old! I think sourdough is one of the most amazing things in baking, and I'm so looking forward to baking with it. Even since I started making my own bread I've wanted to tackle sourdough; and when I heard you could make fantastic pancakes and other sweet things with it, I knew I had to master it somehow. ;)

I came across some recipes for scones and cookies using sourdough - I will find the links again and post them here.

Reaction score

Evelyn, here is the link to the sourdough scone recipe. I made them yesterday for an afternoon tea, and they were scoffed by all of us in no time! Absolutely delicious, and by far tastier and fluffier than any I've made without sourdough starter.

I've found a few heavenly-sounding recipes for sweet cakes and cookies using sourdough starter, and I'm really looking forward to trying all of them.

Reaction score
As soon I read the topic I couldn't click fast enough!! I love cherry and almond together and that bread sounds fabulous!!! I love making breads. I am not a super sugary person when it comes to taste. I think that's why I love breads so much. It gives just a hint of sweetness which I love. I just baked banana bread yesterday and it's almost gone!!

I also like the fact that different sweet breads can be a snack anytime. :)

Danyel :)

Ask a Question