Cherry & Banana Cake

Reaction score
Alright, so this is a recipe which I've had for years, given to me by my grandmother, and it always goes down a treat when either of us makes it. Although I always think her cake always tastes just that little bit better than mine, despite the fact she swears that everything she does, she's written down for me. Anyway, I thought I'd share it with you guys.

175g/6oz of margarine
175g/6oz of sugar
1 tablespoon of grated orange rind
3 eggs, beaten
175g/6oz self raising flour
1 large and ripe banana
2 tablespoons of orange juice
100g/4oz of cherries

Heat the oven to 180 degrees, or the equivalent on your oven, and allow it to heat up while you're following the next set of instructions.
Line a 2lb loaf tin with butter.
Beat the margaine, sugar and orange rind together, gradually beating in the eggs, while adding in a little flour with each addition.
Mash the banana into the mix with the orange juice, and finally add the cherries to your concoction.
Pour your mix into the tin, allowing it to spread out evenly.
Put the tin in the oven, and allow to cook for 40-50 minutes until golden brown.
Slide your cake out of the tin, onto a cooling rack.
Once cooled, mix up some icing sugar of your choice, and spread evenly across the surface of your cake.
Allow icing sugar to set, and serve when ready.

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as our house does. It goes down a treat with milk!

Reaction score
This sounds amazing, I love the combinations of strawberries and banannas , so i think i am going to try swapping out the cherries for strawberries. Is that 180 degrees celcious ?,We don't us the metric system here in the US. I know how backwards?

Reaction score
I know that I will definately try that. My daughter's birthday is coming up and the only fruits she likes is banana's and cherries. Can you make it without the orange juice, just wondering.

Reaction score
This sounds amazing, I love the combinations of strawberries and banannas , so i think i am going to try swapping out the cherries for strawberries. Is that 180 degrees celcious ?,We don't us the metric system here in the US. I know how backwards?
Sorry, yes that would be 180 Celsius. Let me know how the swapping of cherries goes down please, as I'd love to know what it tastes like!
I know that I will definately try that. My daughter's birthday is coming up and the only fruits she likes is banana's and cherries. Can you make it without the orange juice, just wondering.
Glad you like the idea of it :)

You can certainly make it without the orange juice if you want to. It just gives the cake a little bit of a citrusy tang I guess you could call it. I've made it in the past without the orange juice and it's still been lovely. I just personally prefer it without. I hope your little girl enjoys it :)

Ask a Question