Cherry Pancakes

Reaction score
This morning I got up and decided to make breakfast for myself. I have these cherries that have been in the fruit compartment for going on two weeks now. It's time to use them or lose them.

When in doubt, make pancakes. That's the rule, right? If not it should be. Well, the flavor on my pancakes was amazing but the texture was downright sad. They were heavy crumbly and mushy. It wasn't a good look.

Full disclosure I didn't separate the egg. I did beat it like it had been bad though.

1/2 c AP flour
salt measured in my palm to be about 1/3t
1/2 t baking powder
A little less than 1T sugar left over from yesterdays cinnamon toast so it had some cinnamon in it.
1T butter
1/2 egg beaten until pale but not separated
A little less than a 1/2c milk ( I started with about a 1/4c and it looked too thick so I splashed more in)
1/2 c sliced cherries most of the pits removed (all but two)

Dry ingredients sifted. Wet stuff gently stirred in, and cherries added.

I'd call it a failure and move on, but they tasted good enough it seems worth at least one more try.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This morning I got up and decided to make breakfast for myself. I have these cherries that have been in the fruit compartment for going on two weeks now. It's time to use them or lose them.

When in doubt, make pancakes. That's the rule, right? If not it should be. Well, the flavor on my pancakes was amazing but the texture was downright sad. They were heavy crumbly and mushy. It wasn't a good look.

Full disclosure I didn't separate the egg. I did beat it like it had been bad though.

1/2 c AP flour
salt measured in my palm to be about 1/3t
1/2 t baking powder
A little less than 1T sugar left over from yesterdays cinnamon toast so it had some cinnamon in it.
1T butter
1/2 egg beaten until pale but not separated
A little less than a 1/2c milk ( I started with about a 1/4c and it looked too thick so I splashed more in)
1/2 c sliced cherries most of the pits removed (all but two)

Dry ingredients sifted. Wet stuff gently stirred in, and cherries added.

I'd call it a failure and move on, but they tasted good enough it seems worth at least one more try.

Hey @Debbborra, how have you been? I was thinking about you a couple weeks ago. I was trying to remember who posted a recipe for navy beans that tried and liked. I just bought some navy beans and I can’t find the recipe in notes. I thought it was you that posted about it.

Anyway, I’m thinking maybe the batter needed to rest to develop the gluten network. Then maybe wait and add the cherries just before you cook the pancakes.

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt from the Serious Eats website has a good buttermilk and sour cream pancake recipe in his cookbook the Food Lab.

Here’s the recipe cut in half and I added a rest period for your cherries.

1 cup (140g) AP flour (measured dip and leveled)

½ tsp baking powder

¼ tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

1 large egg - separated

¾ cups (170 ml) buttermilk

½ cup (118ml) sour cream

2 Tbsp (28g) unsalted butter, melted

cherries, pitted and roughly chopped

whisk dry ingredients; set aside

whisk yolks, buttermilk, sour cream; drizzle in melted butter set aside

whip egg whites to stiff peaks; fold into buttermilk mixture

sift dry ingredients over egg mixture and just barely fold in; there will be lumps

rest batter 10 minutes before heating griddle; batter should have rested at least 15 minutes before adding cherries

heat griddle for 5 minutes

just before cooking, gently fold in cherries to avoid deflating batter and breaking up gluten network

Of course you could make a regular pancake batter and let it rest before adding the cherries as well. I just think pancake batter does well when it’s given a short rest anyway. And add ins are heavy, so giving the batter time to develop some gluten might help.

Reaction score
You were thinking of me! It made my day.
I'm going to try both the resting and the sourcream recipe.
Navy beans, the only thing I that I make with navy beans is white chile, but I found a very simple white chili recipe that's delicious. (Though the portion count is clearly a) wrong and b) bizarre. Assuming you're not a vegetarian.
It's terrible, I went on a diet and stopped baking. On the upside I lost about 60 lbs!

Reaction score
You were thinking of me! It made my day.
I'm going to try both the resting and the sourcream recipe.
Navy beans, the only thing I that I make with navy beans is white chile, but I found a very simple white chili recipe that's delicious. (Though the portion count is clearly a) wrong and b) bizarre. Assuming you're not a vegetarian.
It's terrible, I went on a diet and stopped baking. On the upside I lost about 60 lbs!

No I’m not a vegetarian, chili sounds good. I stopped at a roadside fruit stand here recently And they had a beautiful selection of beans and lentils. So I bought these beautiful navy beans. But I don’t have a recipe.

The pancake recipe I’m told is good. I’ve made it for others. I can’t eat gluten so I have not eaten it myself. But those I’ve made it for like it.

Wow 60 lbs is incredible! Congratulations! That’s just amazing.

I need to get back on my workout routine. I have about 25 lbs to lose myself. I took a mountain bike trail side repair class at REI To learn how to repair things like a flat on mountain bike. I know how to do all these things on my road bike but that mountain bike is like a whole different animal. So at this point I have no excuse not to get out there and ride my bike. Now I just have to be careful about what I put in my mouth:rolleyes:

Ask a Question