Boost Your Energy with Chickpea Flatbread

Reaction score
Chickpea flatbread is amazing in the fact that it has the opposite effect of eating regular bread. Instead of draining you of your energy, and filling you up with empty carbs, it has complex carbs that will boost your energy, and it’s got protein to keep you full!
This recipe makes enough to fill 2 cookie sheets

Ingredients
2 ½ cups chick-pea flour
3 ½ cups cold water
Salt & black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Instructions
1. In a large mixing bowl, pour in the flour and add the water gradually, while whisking, to keep any lumps from forming. Mix until smooth.
2. Add the salt, olive oil and whisk until smooth. Let mixture stand at room temp for about 3 hours.
3. After the 3 hours, heat oven to 350 degrees. Gently skim off the top layer of batter that may form with a slotted spoon.
4. Spray olive oil on a large rimmed cookie sheet and pour in the batter, making about a ¼ inch layer.
5. Carefully place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool slightly, then cut and serve.

Reaction score
Oh I love chickpeas. They are not only delicious but healthy as well. It is high in fibers, irons and pack with antioxidants. Usually, I just eat them straight from the can as my snack or mix it with my salad. Your chickpea flat bread will be a great idea for my morning breakfast. I will try it instead of my usual chickpea pancakes. ;)

Reaction score
This sounds excellent, I'll definitely be trying it! I eat far more bread than is strictly healthy (come on, who can resist the warm, just-baked smell..?), so any ideas for substitutes are always welcome :p thanks for the suggestion!

Reaction score
This sounds yummy! My daughter is gluten free so I am always looking for new bread recipes. I like that it can just be baked on a sheet and that it isn't a bread machine recipe! I think I will give it a try. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
I made a similar "bread" recipe some time ago and it came out really well. Only thing was that it was so filling. I need to figure out how to split the "slices" in half thickness wise because when I made a sandwich with two of them, even though the sandwich looked small, I was absolutely stuffed from all the fiber.

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of chickpeas, and having the opposite "bread effect" sounds like a big plus, too. This recipe sounds really simple and good, and I would love to give it a try one of these days....even if I'd be the only one in my house enjoying it ;).

Reaction score
What is the difference between using canned chickpeas versus chickpea flour? Sorry, I'm a newbie to this baking with substitutes thing. Any insight would help, thanks!

Reaction score
What is the difference between using canned chickpeas versus chickpea flour? Sorry, I'm a newbie to this baking with substitutes thing. Any insight would help, thanks!

Chickpeas will have more moisture than chickpea flour, so you can't make a direct substitution. For something like flatbreads I'd stick with chickpea flour (I know it as 'Gram Flour') because otherwise you end up running the risk of making fried hummous! I've not made flatbreads with gram flour, but I've used it for things like onion bhajis. It's delicious!

If you're interested, this is the onion bhaji recipe I use (at the bottom of the page): https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/cauliflower-pakoras-with-tamarind-raita

Ask a Question