Chiffon Cake

Reaction score
I am trying to improve on my Chiffon cake recipe and I saw something about specific gravity? So my question is if I mix this long enough to but a lot of air in the batter does that not create gluten? I was always told not to over mix cakes ,muffins and so on. Any tips and suggestions welcome.
The recipe i use is as follows. 8 egg yolks,2 cups flour,1.5 cups sugar,3 tsp baking powder,1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup oil,3/4 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp lemon extract, 8 egg whites whipped stiff.

Reaction score
Whoever wrote that recipe doesn’t know what they’re doing anyway because 1) it’s written in volume; 2 the liquid is milk. The liquid in chiffon cake is water. You can use sparkling water. You can use a combination of sparkling juice and water. You can use a combination of sparkling water and non-alcoholic wine. You can use a combination of sparkling water and champagne. You can use a combination of water and coridal (my favorites are elderflower and lemon; and lemon verbena). But you will not get a good chiffon cake with milk as it it too heavy and rich which will produce a dense thick crumb--which is totally contrary to what a chiffon cake was developed to be.

The proper flour to use is cake flour, your recipe simply says flour.

Three of the most important things for chiffon cake is baking by weight, not volume; beating the egg whites properly, and folding them in.

Baking by weight is the proper way to bake regardless of what you’re baking.

learn how to beat egg whites properly. I discussed them on this thread:

Understand the difference between the different mixing methods. Egg whites must be folded into the batter. Learn how to fold properly. Below is a copy and paste of an explanation I wrote on the different mixing methods.

==================================

There are many ways to mix batters and doughs. The mixing method that you choose will depend on the type of baked product you will make. Many baked goods require you to use more than one type of mixing method

Beating: agitate ingredients vigorously to incorporate air or develop gluten. A mixer using attachments like just as a whisk, paddle, or dough hook attachment is used. By hand use a hand whisk or spoon.

Blending/stirring: Mixing two or more ingredients together until evenly combined. May be done by hand with a spoon, whisk, rubber spatula, or with a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.

Cut in: roughly cut in solid fat (chilled butter, shortening, lard, etc.) into dry ingredients leaving coarse bits of fat visible. By hand, a pastry cutter, two knives is used. Other hand techniques include rubbing fat and dry ingredients between two fingers or s a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or two knives to cut in fat. You may also rub the fat and flour between your fingers.

Folding: Gently blending an airy foam, such as whipped egg whites or whipped cream into a heavier batter to lighten it. Using a balloon whisk to keep from deflating the foam, the batter is lifted up from the bottom of the bowl with the balloon whisk and folded over the foam, then the whisk drawn gently down through the center of the batter to lift it up and fold it over again. The bowl is rotated as the foam in folded in.

Whipping: agitating ingredients vigorously to incorporate air and and trigger partial protein denaturation of ingredients like egg whites or heavy cream.

Creaming is NOT mixing

Creaming is NOT blending/stirring two or more ingredients to combine.

Creaming is NOT cutting a fat into a dry ingredient

Creaming is NOT folding a foam into a batter

Creaming is NOT whipping an ingredient to incorporate air and trigger protein denaturation

Reaction score
Whoever wrote that recipe doesn’t know what they’re doing anyway because 1) it’s written in volume; 2 the liquid is milk. The liquid in chiffon cake is water. You can use sparkling water. You can use a combination of sparkling juice and water. You can use a combination of sparkling water and non-alcoholic wine. You can use a combination of sparkling water and champagne. You can use a combination of water and coridal (my favorites are elderflower and lemon; and lemon verbena). But you will not get a good chiffon cake with milk as it it too heavy and rich which will produce a dense thick crumb--which is totally contrary to what a chiffon cake was developed to be.

The proper flour to use is cake flour, your recipe simply says flour.

Three of the most important things for chiffon cake is baking by weight, not volume; beating the egg whites properly, and folding them in.

Baking by weight is the proper way to bake regardless of what you’re baking.

learn how to beat egg whites properly. I discussed them on this thread:

Understand the difference between the different mixing methods. Egg whites must be folded into the batter. Learn how to fold properly. Below is a copy and paste of an explanation I wrote on the different mixing methods.

==================================

There are many ways to mix batters and doughs. The mixing method that you choose will depend on the type of baked product you will make. Many baked goods require you to use more than one type of mixing method

Beating: agitate ingredients vigorously to incorporate air or develop gluten. A mixer using attachments like just as a whisk, paddle, or dough hook attachment is used. By hand use a hand whisk or spoon.

Blending/stirring: Mixing two or more ingredients together until evenly combined. May be done by hand with a spoon, whisk, rubber spatula, or with a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.

Cut in: roughly cut in solid fat (chilled butter, shortening, lard, etc.) into dry ingredients leaving coarse bits of fat visible. By hand, a pastry cutter, two knives is used. Other hand techniques include rubbing fat and dry ingredients between two fingers or s a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or two knives to cut in fat. You may also rub the fat and flour between your fingers.

Folding: Gently blending an airy foam, such as whipped egg whites or whipped cream into a heavier batter to lighten it. Using a balloon whisk to keep from deflating the foam, the batter is lifted up from the bottom of the bowl with the balloon whisk and folded over the foam, then the whisk drawn gently down through the center of the batter to lift it up and fold it over again. The bowl is rotated as the foam in folded in.

Whipping: agitating ingredients vigorously to incorporate air and and trigger partial protein denaturation of ingredients like egg whites or heavy cream.

Creaming is NOT mixing

Creaming is NOT blending/stirring two or more ingredients to combine.

Creaming is NOT cutting a fat into a dry ingredient

Creaming is NOT folding a foam into a batter

Creaming is NOT whipping an ingredient to incorporate air and trigger protein denaturation
Thank you for your response appricate the input. I am a home baker not a professional so that is why it was written like that . I always try to work in weight but this is the recipe I had and have not converted it yet. It is interesting about the water I never heard that before I will try that the next time. I do use cake Flour and I mix the wet first then add the dry and mix untill well mixed then I fold in the beaten to a stiff peak egg whites. I bake then cool inverted. Do you have a recipe for a Chiffon cake that has the correct weights?

Reaction score
@Jafwiz

Chiffon cake is very well documented. It was invented by an insurance salesman, Harry Baker, in 1927. It took him months to develop the recipe. Then baked and sold the cake to restaurants, including a celebrity favorite in Hollywood called the Brown Derby. The cake became a favorite. Baker refused to share or sell his recipe for over twenty years. In 1947 he sold it General Mills and they printed it in their Betty Crocker cookbooks.

Chiffon cake is differentiated from other cakes by specific ingredients and mixing method. These makes the cake so light and airy it has to be cooled upside down to keep it cooled from collapsing in on itself.

Fat: oil instead of butter
Liquid: water instead of milk
Eggs: whole eggs separated with whites whipped
Flour: bleached cake flour instead of all purpose flour
Mixing: dry ingredients shifted; liquids added to dry; whipped egg whites folded in

Below is a link to Rose Levy Beranbaum’s version from her cookbook the Cake Bible. US publishers will not publish a cookbook unless it includes volume measurements, so she included all three measurements. I strongly recommend using metric weight as opposed to US ounces. US ounces are not the same as UK (British ounce is 28.41 ml; US ounce is 29.57 ml). So if you are in part of the world that uses the British standard, the scale will be set to British standard, not US standards. So the weights will be off. But the metric weight will be correct because that is a standard that is consistent worldwide.

The reason weight is used in baking is ingredients vary greatly. Metric weight is the only way to get accurate measurement. Note the eggs are in weight. A large egg in the UK is a minimum of 63g in the shell, or about 55g of raw. But in the US and Canada, a large egg is 57g in the shell. That is about 50g of raw egg. That difference adds up when you are using more than two eggs.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/orange-glow-chiffon-cake-105984

Ask a Question