Chocolate and Hazelnut Torte

Reaction score
I can't take credit for this delicious dessert, but I wanted so share this recipe for a Chocolate and Hazelnut Torte. I learned how to make this dish at a cooking school in Stratford, Ontario.

1 cup hazelnuts
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup sugar
5 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoon Amaretto
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1/8 teaspon salt
cocoa for garnish

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9" springform pan. Toast the hazelnuts in a dry skillet on top of the stove, over low heat. Stir frequently and watch to prevent the nuts from burning. When they begin to emit their aroma, remove the nuts from the pan and place the nuts in a towel. Keeping the towel between your hands and the nuts, gently rub the skins off the hazelnuts. You may not be able to remove all of the skin. Grind the nuts with the 3 tablespoons of sugar in a mortar and pestle, or a food processor.

2. Separate the eggs, pacing the whites in a copper bowl and the yolks in a medium stainless bowl. Finely grate the chocolate into a bowl. Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar to the egg yolks while whisking, continuing to whisk until the yolks are very pale yellow and thickened. When you lift the whisk, the ribbon that forms on top of the yolks should disappear slowly. Beat in the Amaretto, the crush nuts and grated chocolate.

3. Use a clean whisk to beat the whites. Any form of oil on the whisk or in the bowl will prevent the eggs from reaching a meringue stage. Whip the whites until stiff peaks form. The foam would be light, shiny and very smooth, and stiff enough to stay in place if you tilt the bowl. Over-beating of the whites will produce a scrambled look to the meringue, and the walls of the cells are quickly deteriorating, therefore there will be little lift in the oven.

4. To add the whites to the yolks, transfer a small amount of whites to the yolk mixture and fold in the whites. (Always, when mixing something heavy with something light, lighten the heaviness first.) Transfer the yolk mixture into the remaining whites and gently fold the two until just incorporated. Place the batter in the prepared pan and place the pan in the middle of the heated oven. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the torte emerges clean. Remove the torte from the oven and cool the torte in the pan. To remove the pan, run a knife around the edge of the pan, release the spring and place the torte on a cake plate. Dust with cocoa powder if desired, and serve at room temperature.

What do you guys think? Are you a fan of tortes?

Reaction score
I love tortes but really don't care to make them. I have a friend who makes a delicious torte and once a year I get a sampling. I think I will pass this recipe onto him and see if I can get him to make it for me. Of course I would buy the ingredients:)

Reaction score
I have been on a huge hazelnut kick lately, so thank you for this recipe! I'm going to save it for one of the upcoming holidays. I'm thinking Thanksgiving, or even Halloween if I feel like baking something for the night. I'll be at home with our newborn, so I might as well make it while I have some downtime since we won't be able to go out much or anything this Halloween. At least well have some yummy chocolate hazelnut torte! Thanks!

Reaction score
That looks amazing. I've never actually baked with liqueur, but I love amaretto and it would go beautifully in a torte like this.

Ask a Question