Chocolate Cherry Whoopee Pies

Reaction score
Akin to the American "Moon Pie", here is one of my favorite things........actually ANYTHING with cherry and chocolate I'm going to love!!!

:p:D

Ingredients
  • FOR THE CAKES:
  • 1-⅔ cup Flour
  • ⅔ cups Cocoa Powder
  • 1-½ teaspoon Baking Soda
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
  • 4 Tablespoons Shortening
  • 2 cups Brown Sugar
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1-¼ cup Milk

• FOR THE FILLING:
  • 1 cup Butter, Softened
  • 3 cups Powdered Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla
  • 1 container Marshmallow Fluff 7oz Size
  • 4 Tablespoons Maraschino Cherry Juice
  • 2 Tablespoons Maraschino Cherries, chopped

Preparation
For the cakes:
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream butter and shortening until smooth. Add sugar and continue mix, scraping downs sides of the bowl as necessary. Add egg and vanilla and mix another 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.

Add half of the flour and half of the milk and beat gently just until mixed. Add second half of flour and milk and beat well until creamed.

Scoop batter by tablespoons full onto prepared baking sheet spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until cakes spring back when touched.

Remove them from the oven and let them stand on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.

Allow cakes to cool completely before filling them. Then using a small cookie scoop, top the bottom of one cake with filling and top thta with another cake. Whoopie pies are best eaten the same day. Store in an airtight container.

For the filling:

In a large bowl beat butter until very creamy. Slowly add in powdered sugar and continue beating. Add vanilla and Marshmallow Fluff and combine. Mix in cherry juice, adding more if desired. Carefully mix in chopped cherries.

Makes about 18 pies.

Chocolate-Whoopie-Pies-410x612.jpg

I would cover them in a dark, hard chocolate, which would make them even better for me!!!!
:D

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, they sound delicious! I don't think I've ever had a whoopee pie before... :oops:

Ask a Question