Chocolate Chip Cookies Came From Sugar Cookies

Discussion in 'Cookies' started by edimzy, Jul 24, 2013.

1. edimzy

edimzy Active Member

Sugar cookies were like the basis of cookies today. Although chocolate chip cookies did not come directly from them, they came from the recipe indirectly. Therefore, although it does not make them better, they are the base of all the different types of cookies we have today. It is like saying that today's big screen T.V. is better than the small radios that America used to be accustomed to. Although, the better one is all in a person's opinion, the big screen TV's would not be possible if it weren't for the small radios.

edimzy, Jul 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. edimzy

Soliloquy Well-Known Member

Some years ago when sort-of-babysitting the preteen son of a friend, we got to talking about cookies, and since his parents didn't bake he'd had no experience of the variety of homemade cookies (snickerdoodles for example... another cookie very similar to sugar cookies). I suggested baking sugar cookies, which confused him... "aren't all cookies sugar cookies?" he asked.

Soliloquy, Jul 24, 2013
    smlewis00 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. edimzy

smlewis00 Well-Known Member

That is a very clever boy! Haha!
    I think cookies are fun because you can experiment and add new and exciting ingredients. You can add nuts, or choose not to. Chocolate chips, pieces of fruit, candy pieces, you name it! While the sugar cookie is a "basic" cookie, its fun to be creative and use colorful icing and fun toppings. I love the variety you can have with cookies.

smlewis00, Feb 13, 2014
  4. edimzy

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I've always thought of sugar cookies as having a bit more sugar in them than other cookie variations hence the name. When I make sugar cookies, I may not only up the sugar, but sprinkle more sugar on them or roll them in some extra sugar for a shimmering surface. For chocolate chip cookies, I would generally tone down the sugar, because I want more of the salty/sweet contrast to come through.

OhioTom76, Feb 14, 2014
  5. edimzy

Angelica Gapit Member

I love both sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies. Those are my two favorite types of cookies and I don't love one more than the other.

I think of both as delicious and I like both very equally.

Angelica Gapit, Feb 23, 2014
  6. edimzy

Panadeiro Well-Known Member

I don't really care about where the cookies came from neither the chocolate, all I care about is that these are the most delicious things ever, for real. Thank you for sharing the information with us anyway.

Panadeiro, Sep 23, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question