Chocolate Covered Madeleines need to be refrigerated?

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been trying to look online for some answers about this but I'm not entirely sure!
I've read that chocolate can be kept at room temperature and putting chocolate covered treats in the fridge may make it "sweat" due to the condensation?

I was wondering if anyone knows more about this? I'm making some madeleines for some friends and I just want to know the instructions I can provide to them since they may not eat them all in one day and if they need to refrigerate them or can be kept in room temperature as long as it's not in a very hot environment?

Thank you so much in advance! Much appreciated!

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been trying to look online for some answers about this but I'm not entirely sure!
I've read that chocolate can be kept at room temperature and putting chocolate covered treats in the fridge may make it "sweat" due to the condensation?

I was wondering if anyone knows more about this? I'm making some madeleines for some friends and I just want to know the instructions I can provide to them since they may not eat them all in one day and if they need to refrigerate them or can be kept in room temperature as long as it's not in a very hot environment?

Thank you so much in advance! Much appreciated!

Chocolate cannot be refrigerated. Condensation will cause the chocolate to turn gritty and form a gray film. This is referred to as sugar bloom. It is caused when the water molecules bind with the sugar in the chocolate, causing the sugar to re-crystallize. It is irreversible damage to the chocolate.

Madeleines are also a sponge cake like batter. As with any cake, refrigeration should be avoid as it will dry them out.

Store in an airtight container, preferably in a room that does not exceed 70°F.

Ask a Question