Chocolate curls!!!

Reaction score
Create chocolate curls on top of your favorite cake or brownies. Or perhaps have it on top your after dinner coffee. There are countless ways to enjoy this very simple trick.

** semi-sweet chocolate (squares or bars)
** shortening

-- cutting board
-- pairing knife
-- glass measuring cup
-- small sauce pan
--rubber spatula
-- baking pan or dish ( or any heat resistant flat surface)
-- metal spatula
-- small metal pancake turner or cheese cutter
-- small skewer or toothpick
--waxed paper

1. place chocolate on a cutting board, shave it into small pieces with a pairing knife
2. place shavings in measuring cup. Add shortening ( 1 tsp for every 2 ounces/56 g of chocolate)
3. Fill sauce pan 1/4 full with warn water. Place measuring cup in water to melt chocolate, stirring frequently with rubber spatula until smooth. Let chocolate cool.
4. Pour melted chocolate onto the back of a baking pan. Quickly spread chocolate into a thin layer with metal spatula.
5. Let stand in cool, dry place until chocolate id firm. Do not chill in refrigerator. When chocolate is firm, use a metal spatula or pairing knife or pancake turner to scrape the chocolate into a curl.
6. Using small skewer or toothpick., transfer curl to wax paper. Store in cool, dry place until ready to use(firm after the curl)

Reaction score
Chocolate curls are so fancy looking that I guess I expected them to be harder to do. Thank you for sharing these directions, which actually don't look that hard at all.

Reaction score
Chocolate curls are so fancy looking that I guess I expected them to be harder to do. Thank you for sharing these directions, which actually don't look that hard at all.
Yes, its my pleasure to share our simple tricks here at home. My sister and I really enjoy hanging around our mother or grandma whenever they cook or bake. Things really can get very interesting =) We used to just eat it alone hahaha

Reaction score

That was my thought as well. Definitely appreciate you sharing- I hate when people find great little secrets or tricks to make things easier and feel the need to keep it all to themselves...spread the knowledge around a little, you know? ;)

Reaction score
I have made chocolate curls by simple taking a baking bar of choclate and using a vegatable peel and cutting away thin piece. I take a little pratice but once you get the hang of it ,it is pretty easy.

Reaction score
I usually do it the same way as NThomas, just scrape straight from the bar. The only problem in the bar needs to be a little warmer than room temperature so that it does not crumble. I am going to try this method though as it seems easy enough.

Ask a Question