Chocolate Ganache

Reaction score
So, i give up making caramel.. lol..
i have questions about chocolate ganache now..
i'm wondering why sometimes it turn out good but another time it taste not smooth (like there is sand in it)

i use double boiler and i added chocolate and milk together.. and wait until its melted..
at room temperature its ok.. but after fridge it has "sand" taste..

anyone know why is that??
sigh.. i always bad making topping.. lol

any help will be appreciated.. thank you :)

Reaction score
I've never made a chocolate ganache with milk before - the method I use is tempered chocolate and (room temperature) cream. You just add the cream to the tempered chocolate and stir, and it thickens up and becomes smooth and glossy.

You can also do it by heating up the cream and mixing it with finely chopped chocolate - the hot cream melts the chocolate.

There is some helpful information about the proportions of chocolate to cream here: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-ganache-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-41099

(the chocolate they are referring to is dark chocolate - if you are using milk chocolate or white chocolate the amount of cream will be slightly different)

Reaction score
You get "sand" in your chocolate from over cooking the chocolate or cooking it on too high of a temperature.
Once it cools down, the sugars crystalize and form that "sand" grit substance.

Ganache has to be done slowly, and with heavy cream, not milk. The cream works two ways.....it loosens up the chocolate for pouring, and it keeps the crystals from forming in the chocolate when done right.

The problem with milk is, there is too much water in it. In order to make a nice smooth melted chocolate of any kind, you need to work with ingredients that do not contain a lot of water.

Reaction score
oh! thank you chester! i will watch out my temperature :)

dumb question: if i want to make chocolate sauce not ganache can i use milk instead of heavy cream?

thank you so much everyone!
wow! i love this site! people here are nice and always help me.. :):):):)

Reaction score
oh! thank you chester! i will watch out my temperature :)

dumb question: if i want to make chocolate sauce not ganache can i use milk instead of heavy cream?

thank you so much everyone!
wow! i love this site! people here are nice and always help me.. :):):):)

If you are just making some chocolate sauce to use to pour over ice cream or a dessert, then yes, you can use milk.

Are you making this from cocoa powder? Or are you making it from melted chocolate pieces?

Which way you make it will depend on how much milk you use.

Basic Chocolate Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups water (or you can use milk)
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 dash salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
  1. Combine the water, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt together in a saucepan over low heat; whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and begins to simmer. Remove from heat and stir the vanilla into the sauce. Serve warm or cover and refrigerate until serving.

For Chocolate Sauce using melted chocolate pieces....

(this is for presweetened chocolate pieces)

In a double boiler, heat the water till boiling, then take it off the heat and place the top pan over the hot water.
Turn the heat off.
Just chop up how much chocolate you are going to use and place that in a double boiler top pan.
Whisk slowly until the chocolate starts to melt.
Add milk or cream, a little bit at a time, while slowly whisking the chocolate in the double boiler.
Stop adding the milk or cream when your chocolate sauce gets to the consistency you want it to be.
Add more vanilla if you want.

Pour into serving dish, or place in air tight container for future use.
You might need to warm it up if you refrigerate it, when ready to use.
Just put some hot tap water in a large bowl, then place the air tight container of chocolate in the hot water.
Let it sit in the hot water until the water starts to cool off, or becomes luke warm.
Stir the chocolate before serving.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Chester!!! thats a lot of tips and info! :)

I try to make it from chocolate pieces.. the one with cocoa powder just too sweet for me.. so i like to make it from chocolate pieces..
but sometimes i got the "sand" taste when using chocolate pieces.. ganache, sauce, pudding.. sigh.. will watch my temperature more..

again, thank you so much!! :)

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Chester!!! thats a lot of tips and info! :)

I try to make it from chocolate pieces.. the one with cocoa powder just too sweet for me.. so i like to make it from chocolate pieces..
but sometimes i got the "sand" taste when using chocolate pieces.. ganache, sauce, pudding.. sigh.. will watch my temperature more..

again, thank you so much!! :)

Using a double boiler will help with the heat and crystalizing. Usually if you bring the water to a boil, then take it off the heat, and then melt your chocolate on the hot water like that, then it usually wont crystalize. Also, keep it moving in the bowl, don't give it a chance to sit without whisking it.

The lower the temperature you can do it at, the less likelyhood of any crystals forming.

Reaction score
hmmmm.. after reading your comment i think i know why sometimes my chocolate has sand taste..

sometimes i will leave my chocolate in the bowl and do prepare something else then back after it completely melt.. i will stir only when i have nothing else to do..
and i never realize this can caused the sand effect until now.. and of course i leave it on low heat too!! sigh...

Thanks a lot!!!!! :D

Ask a Question