Chocolate glaze in Robicelli's Brooklyn Blackout recpie

Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm pretty new to baking but have been really enjoying it. Over the weekend I tried this recipe from the Robicelli's book:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/robicellis-brooklyn-blackout-cupcakes.html

I really struggled with the chocolate glaze - which looks like it should be one of the easiest parts of the whole process. I tried a couple batches but just couldn't get the consistency right (it was too thick too be dipped into -- like a paste). Any ideas what I might have done wrong?

Thanks for you help!

-E

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi eroston, welcome to the forums. Sorry for the delay in approving this post, it got caught in the spam filter for some reason! I've approved it now for you :D.

Reaction score
Hi there! And wow... that recipe has a lot ingredients! Maybe a little too advanced for someone who is starting out, that is for sure! A lot things can go wrong with a recipe like that, remember that the more ingredients you need to work with the more odds to make a mistake! I really don't know what went wrong with your glaze, because I wasn't there, but I really think it was all about the butter!

Reaction score
yea it was a little ambitious but everything else (including the french buttercream) came out great! It was just that glaze that I couldn't get right. I ended up just plopping a glob of it on top of the buttercream. It tasted good but it didnt quite gave the same look as the beautifully dipped cakes from the recipie.

Reaction score
Oh, sorry to hear the glaze didn't turn out well! Sometimes it just a matter of practice, like when I tried the impossible cake, the first time didn't turn out well, the second time it turned out great!

Ask a Question