Chocolate mayonnaise cake

Discussion in 'Cakes' started by Nautilus, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Nautilus

Nautilus Member

I used to have a recipient for a chocolate mayonnaise cake that was absolutely delicious but unfortunately I cannot find it any more. The recipient sounds so wrong using mayonnaise instead of fat and I was very wary of giving it a go first time I tried. But wow, it is so moist and tasty. I'm really hoping to try it again.

Nautilus, Apr 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Nautilus

Jessi Well-Known Member

I haven't done this in a long time, but I enjoy the mayo chocolate cake, too. Using sour cream instead is even better!

I actually do this with box mixes instead of from scratch. It's an easy way to bring life to an otherwise boring box cake mix.

Jessi, Apr 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Nautilus

Becky Administrator

Sounds intriguing, I've never tried this myself! I've used yoghurt and buttermilk in cake recipes, but never mayo!

Becky, Apr 2, 2014
  4. Nautilus

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

This does sound interesting! I have used applesauce and sour cream, but have never heard of using mayo before. I know mayo tastes a bit salty, does it make the cake taste more salty or do you not notice a difference?

Tina Nord, Apr 2, 2014
  5. Nautilus

Nautilus Member

Sour cream sounds like it could be an interesting variation. I am surprised that not many people have used mayo.

Nautilus, Apr 2, 2014
  6. Nautilus

LisaD Member

I have heard that using mayonnaise in cake makes it more moist and that it is really good. I do wonder for those of you who have used the mayo, yogurt, or even the applesauce what is the ingredient in the normal mix does this replace? I am asking because I would like to do a healthier version of cake and the applesauce idea has my attention.

LisaD, Apr 4, 2014
  7. Nautilus

Tara Well-Known Member

I love chocolate cake, but I'm not a fan of mayonnaise. I can see how it would work though.

I have added applesauce instead of using sugar. It's supposed to be a sugar substitute. My results weren't nothing to talk about. I have heard that prune puree works even better, but I haven't tried it.

Tara, Apr 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question