Chocolate mayonnaise cake

Reaction score
I used to have a recipient for a chocolate mayonnaise cake that was absolutely delicious but unfortunately I cannot find it any more. The recipient sounds so wrong using mayonnaise instead of fat and I was very wary of giving it a go first time I tried. But wow, it is so moist and tasty. I'm really hoping to try it again.

Reaction score
I haven't done this in a long time, but I enjoy the mayo chocolate cake, too. Using sour cream instead is even better!

I actually do this with box mixes instead of from scratch. It's an easy way to bring life to an otherwise boring box cake mix.

Reaction score
Sounds intriguing, I've never tried this myself! I've used yoghurt and buttermilk in cake recipes, but never mayo!

Reaction score
This does sound interesting! I have used applesauce and sour cream, but have never heard of using mayo before. I know mayo tastes a bit salty, does it make the cake taste more salty or do you not notice a difference?

Reaction score
Sour cream sounds like it could be an interesting variation. I am surprised that not many people have used mayo.

Reaction score
I have heard that using mayonnaise in cake makes it more moist and that it is really good. I do wonder for those of you who have used the mayo, yogurt, or even the applesauce what is the ingredient in the normal mix does this replace? I am asking because I would like to do a healthier version of cake and the applesauce idea has my attention.

Reaction score
I love chocolate cake, but I'm not a fan of mayonnaise. I can see how it would work though.

I have added applesauce instead of using sugar. It's supposed to be a sugar substitute. My results weren't nothing to talk about. I have heard that prune puree works even better, but I haven't tried it.

Ask a Question