Chocolate Mocha Cheesecake

Reaction score
I make a chocolate mocha cheesecake that has been requested by the family for Thanksgiving. Since I was pulling out the recipe anyway I thought I might as well share it with you guys too!

Brownie Layer:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chunks

Cheesecake Layer:
4 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/4 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tbsp flour
1/4 cup + 1/8 C strong coffee (divided use)
6 oz milk chocolate (chopped or chips)
4 oz bittersweet chocolate (chopped or chips)
1 tsp vanilla

Dark Chocolate Mocha Ganache:
9.5 oz bittersweet chocolate (chopped or chips)
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp espresso powder

For the brownie layer:
Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 10" spring form pan with cooking spray
In a small sauce pan melt together butter, coffee and unsweetened chocolate. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder and salt.
In a large bowl beat together sugars, eggs and vanilla on high until light and creamy.
Reduce speed and gradually beat in the chocolate mixture.
Gradually stir in the flour mixture just until combined.
Fold in the chocolate chunks.
Spread the batter in the bottom of the spring form pan.
Bake for 7-12 minutes or until the edges of the brownies are just barely set - they will finish baking with the cheesecake. Set aside to cool while making the cheesecake layer.

For the cheesecake:
Reduce oven to 350°F
In a small microwave safe bowl melt together 1/4 cup coffee and 6 oz milk chocolate. Set aside.
In another small microwave safe bowl melt together 1/8 cup coffee and 4 oz bittersweet chocolate. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl cream together the cream cheese and sugar.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating to combine after each addition.
Blend in the sour cream, flour and vanilla.
Slowly mix in the milk chocolate mixture just until combined.
Gently pour about 3/4 of the batter over the cooled brownie layer in the spring form pan and spread evenly. Set aside.
Mix the bittersweet chocolate mixture into the reserved 1/4 of the batter.
Put the remainder of the batter in a pastry bag fitted with a long slender tip.
Use the pastry bag to inject the bittersweet chocolate batter into the layer of batter already in the pan. Try to space the injections so they do not bleed into each other. This will create a polka dot effect in the finished sliced cheesecake. If you do not have a pastry bag or appropriate tip simply spoon the remainder of the batter over the top of the batter layer in the pan and use a knife to swirl it through.
Bake the cheesecake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.

Reduce heat to 250° and continue to bake for approximately 60 minutes or until the cake is firm and the center is slightly wobbly.
Turn off the heat and leave the cake in the oven for an additional hour. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely then cover it and refrigerate.
In a microwave safe bowl combine all of the ingredients for the Dark Chocolate Mocha Ganache.
Heat on high in the microwave for 30 seconds. Let it stand for 2 minutes before attempting to stir. If the chocolate is still too firm, return to the microwave for up to 10 seconds at a time. Stir gently in increasingly wide circles until fully combined. The final mixture should be smooth and shiny.

Spread the ganache over the top of the chilled cheesecake. Return to the refrigerator to set.

Reaction score
This recipe combines everything I love in deserts. It has chocolate, cheesecake, brownies, cream, and just more delicious things!

I just wish there was a picture posted along with the recipe. That way I can dream about it when I lay down to sleep.

Reaction score
This sounds amazing and I've been wanting to make a cheesecake. Thanks so much for the share! I will definitely try.

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe. Reading the ingredients makes me want to have one right now. For how many is this recipe for?

I am going to make that this weekend for a family gathering.

Reaction score
My daughter just made a new recipe. I am dying for desert time to come around.
It is a three layer made up of cookie dough at the bottom, crumbled oreos in the middle, and brownie on top.

I can see me going into a total diabetic shock. lol

Ask a Question