Chocolate mousse made with... water

Reaction score
I was reading through recipe books at the weekend looking for ideas, and I stumbled across a recipe for chocolate mousse that was basically melted chocolate whisked up with water. It had other ingredients, but they were just there for flavouring (chopped mint and fresh raspberries for decoration). I remember someone mentioning this before on the forum, but I had totally forgotten about it! Has anyone here tried making it?

As far as I know the method originated from Heston Blumenthal:

I'd love to give this a try. I bet it would be gorgeous with a bit of Cointreau added! I have a friend who is allergic to eggs, so this would be the perfect mousse for her :)

Reaction score
I'm going to make this at the weekend :) We've got some friends coming over and I'm cooking chicken with harissa, so I was thinking that I could add a little rose water to the mousse to continue the Middle-Eastern theme. I'm hoping it'll taste like chocolate Turkish delight, yum! I'll top them with chopped pistachios and rose petals.

Ask a Question