Chocolate & Orange Cake

Reaction score
I made this cake for my Mum's 60th birthday! It is an orange buttermilk sponge cake (recipe from Hummingbird Bakery - except I added orange zest and didn't include the cookies in the recipe), sandwiched together with smooth marmalade, covered in chocolate buttercream, and decorated with Terry's Chocolate Orange pieces.

20160107_152237.jpg

20160107_152213.jpg

Yummy! :)

Reaction score
It looks so pretty, specially in the last picture! It sounds delicious! I love the idea of those two flavors together, but so far I haven't had the chance to try a cake with that amazing mix of flavors :( I might one of these days, but not anytime soon though, I still have to lose weight :(

Reaction score
I love the combination of orange and chocolate, it ticks a lot of my taste boxes. I've never made one, because it's just me here right now, and I don't eat a lot of chocolate, but I come from a family of chocoholics, so I know the family would love this.

I only make chocolate buttercream for white cakes, otherwise I get overwhelmed, but I think this would be one I'd try, since the orange would match the chocolate, the way the white cake does. It looks fabulous, great job!

Reaction score
It looks so pretty! Love the arrangement of the Terry's chocolate pieces - very eye catching. I too love the combination of chocolate and orange - something about the citrus flavors cutting through the chocolate just tastes so fresh and delicious!

Reaction score
Lovely. The kind of thing I can only look at and admire. When will I ever be able to produce a cake that calls for additional frills? Maybe in 2016?

Reaction score
I only make chocolate buttercream for white cakes, otherwise I get overwhelmed, but I think this would be one I'd try, since the orange would match the chocolate, the way the white cake does. It looks fabulous, great job!

Thanks! You'd like this one then :) I'm avoiding chocolate at the moment (due to the caffeine content as I get migraines) which is why I didn't want the whole thing to be chocolatey.

Reaction score
Lovely. The kind of thing I can only look at and admire. When will I ever be able to produce a cake that calls for additional frills? Maybe in 2016?

Go for it! This one looks nice but it was actually pretty easy to do :)

Reaction score
Go for it! This one looks nice but it was actually pretty easy to do :)

I decided to make the chocolate box cake on Sunday. What could possibly go wrong with a box cake now I am a aspiring baker? The ........thing sinks in the middle. Do you think I should still go for the decorating?:)...I am not sure.

Reaction score
I decided to make the chocolate box cake on Sunday. What could possibly go wrong with a box cake now I am a aspiring baker? The ........thing sinks in the middle. Do you think I should still go for the decorating?:)...I am not sure.

I bet it will still taste great ;) Plus you can hide a lot with decorations!!

Reaction score
I bet it will still taste great ;) Plus you can hide a lot with decorations!!
I honestly did think that decorating was a sure way to try to address that issue. Thankfully, no one complained and ate it all up. It was mostly my husband who has become somewhat of an eating machine.

Reaction score
Gee, I'm speechless with that photo of your cake. If only I could have a sample tasting session, huh. I'm quite intrigued by that chocolate orange. Is it really orange or orange flavor only? I wonder how the taste of orange would meld with chocolate. But with the look of that cake in the photo, it looks like a winner to my taste buds. Congratulations for making that cake and for making me salivate.

Reaction score
It probably depends on how much it has sunk in the middle. If it's just a little, you can easily cover that up with frosting. If it's a huge sinkhole, I'd probably make another layer, assuming it's just the top layer that's sunk. Many people enjoy frosting, so don't mind a little more, and if they do, they could always scrape it off. You could also try flipping the top layer so the sunken portion is not even noticeable, and hide something in there like pudding.

Reaction score
I really like these two flavor put together. It makes me think back to these little freezer treats that we used to get. They were frozen slices of chocolate in the shape of orange slices, and they had that hint of orange taste too. I wonder what ever happened to those things.

Ask a Question