Chocolate Ugly Cake

Reaction score
Someone gave me a packaged mix for "Chocolate Ugly" cake.

It came out sort of like a lava cake! It was surprisingly good and not really all that sweet, believe it or not.

It was crazy how it was made. Basically, it came with two packages of mix. The first had to be mixed with 1/2 cup of cold water, then spread in a greased 8x8. The next package was just dumped on top. Then, I had to add 1 1/4 cups of hot water on top of the whole thing. I had to put it in the oven for 30 mins at 350 without mixing or anything.

I was unsure of how it would turn out, but it was actually quite good.

Have you ever made anything like that?

Reaction score
:cool:
Someone gave me a packaged mix for "Chocolate Ugly" cake.

It came out sort of like a lava cake! It was surprisingly good and not really all that sweet, believe it or not.

It was crazy how it was made. Basically, it came with two packages of mix. The first had to be mixed with 1/2 cup of cold water, then spread in a greased 8x8. The next package was just dumped on top. Then, I had to add 1 1/4 cups of hot water on top of the whole thing. I had to put it in the oven for 30 mins at 350 without mixing or anything.

I was unsure of how it would turn out, but it was actually quite good.

Have you ever made anything like that?
I have not made anything like that. It sounds like a recipe for a dump cake. There is a cook book they sell on TV with all dump cake recipes. Basically you put fruit in a pan, then add boxed cake mix and a soda. I think it comes out more like a cobbler than a cake. Chocolate lava cake sounds good but I have never tried it. Warm chocolate cake with a warm gooey chocolate center sounds like a Saturday night alone in my pajamas with a good movie.:cool:

Reaction score
I've never heard of a Chocolate Ugly cake. Did it look ugly after it was baked?

I'm not much of a made from scratch cake baker. My cakes never seem to turn out.

The cake sounds pretty simple to make though. I'll have to look for one when I'm back in the US.

Reaction score
I've never heard of a chocolate ugly cake. The recipe sounds unique. I've never heard of dumping an additional bag of mix on top of the rest of the cake. If it tastes delicious, then that's all that matters. Maybe the cake looks ugly but still tastes good.

Reaction score
It was really easy, and it tasted good. I wouldn't necessarily say that it was ugly, but it wasn't the prettiest of cakes, either. Ya'll should try it. :)

Reaction score
I would but, there is no way I'd find one of the mixes here. Perhaps I should use Google to see if there is a made from scratch version. I'd really like to try it as, I enjoy a lava cake but have no interest in making one. The only thing I am worried about is it's sweetness; my family likes their baked goods sweet.

Reaction score
I have never heard of this, but I am very intrigued. I saw this post and immediately started to google to see if I can find it; yet nothing was close. So please if you find out what it was, or where we can purchase it, share.
I would love to make this for someone’s birthday coming up.

Reaction score
Never heard of it, but I love the name!! LOL. I've made some pretty ugly things in my time that have tasted phenomenal.. think I'll change their names to Ugly _____ so it's more acceptable for them to look terrible haha.

Reaction score
I've made something before that sounds almost identical! It's a recipe from Nigella Lawson:

Chilli Cinnamon Chocolate Pudding

Looked awful going into the oven, but came out looking fine and tasting great :D It's a great recipe for when you want a pudding at short notice, as I always tend to have all the ingredients in the house.

Reaction score
http://www.food.com/recipe/ugly-chocolate-cake-111002

The above, seems to be the recipe everyone shares for the cake. It doesn't seem too hard and the general consensus is that it is ugly but oh so good. I might have to make it for a Super Bowl party I'm going to as, a certain guest lives for chocolate cake (she's 88). I have to make guacamole so I've been thinking of making a 7 Layer Dip. Why not add a chocolate cake too?

Reaction score
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/04/dump-cake-a-potluckers-paradise/
Here is a link for a dump cake. It looks more like cobbler after it is baked. I think I would try it with peaches or one type of fruit. Pineapples and cherry pie filling seems a little too sweet with all the sugar in the cake mix. Has anyone every seen a recipe like this. There is another one that I saw that you pour a can of sprite over the cake mixture. I usually replace the water in my cake with that amount of soda. Chocolate cake is delicious with cola added. It bumps up the flavor of the chocolate. Coffee might be a good alternative too.

Reaction score
I have no idea where she got it from. I've not seen anything like it myself. The brand was Tastefully Simple. That recipe on Food.com looks pretty similar to what I made, other than that the whole thing was in a package.

That dump cake looks marvelous. I think I am going to have to try that. I love The Pioneer Woman! Her recipes are so easy and delicious.

Reaction score
Well I spent three whole dollars on a cake mix yesterday so, I can give this cake a try. I'll probably make it before the weekend and will let you know how it turns out. :) It might not turn out as well as I'd like, though. It seems, no matter what I do, I can't get the cocoa to taste good.

Ask a Question