Christmas Cookies!

Reaction score
I know it's early, but it's just starting to feel cool and crisp here and I'm starting to get excited for all the holiday baking to come!

Do you have any cookie traditions that you make every year? It doesn't have to be for Christmas, holiday baking of any kind is exciting and it always gets me into the seasonal spirit :)

We have a few different recipes that I always look forward to, especially if it's my mom or grandmother making them.

There are always chocolate snowballs rolled in powdered sugar and round little shortbread cookies with half a candied cherry pressed into the middle. No gingerbread men but my mom makes ginger snaps, and shortbread cookies encrusted with the shiny sprinkles you get around the holidays. And we always get one of those tubes of pre-made cookie dough with an image in the middle that you just slice and bake, even though they're not very good.

Over the last couple years I've started making linzer cookies as well. Holidays are just such a great excuse to bake, especially when it's snowy outside and the kitchen is all cozy.

What are some of your holidays favourites?

Reaction score
Aagh the 'C' word! :eek: ;)

I know what you mean about it feeling cooler though, it feels like autumn is well on its way. Not that that's a bad thing - I love going for a walk when it's cold and sunny.

I need to find a good recipe for gluten free ginger bread, I've only tried one so far and it was nice but a bit too soft - more like a chewy cookie rather than a biscuit. My husband bought me a 3D dinosaur cookie cutter for my birthday and I'm dying to give it a try! It's one of these:

3D-Dino-Cookie-Cutters-1.jpg

Reaction score
I didn't really have a tradition of baking Christmas cookies growing up - I guess that's by virtue of the fact that I grew up in Australia, and since Christmas is in summertime the mere idea of having the oven blazing then was too much.

Since now I live in the Northern Hemisphere I think I may have to make it a bit of a tradition!

Reaction score
My family didn't celebrate Christmas while growing up, but I am marrying someone who does! So I will have to create my own Christmas cookies tradition. I'm thinking of the cookies my sister baked, they're known as ''bizcochos''. I like those more over those vanilla cookies you decorate with icing... but of course I might bake those too so I can invite my niece to decorate them with me.

But i also like these:

OB-QY264_cookie_G_20111209150836.jpg

Reaction score
On the special eve of Christmas i used to make butter cookies because this is great dessert when you are having company. I make them in the shapes of Christmas trees. Use green and red sprinkles and any kind of frosting to decorate.

Reaction score
Ugh...Christmas is coming in 3 short months. We normally make some cut out sugar cookies, Chai tea cookies, and chocolate chip cookies. This year I think I am going to add gingerbread cookies to the mix to change it up a little.

Reaction score
Those 3-d cookie cutters look amazing! What an awesome way to put a twist on a classic :)

I'm already stressing about the holidays being a few months away, but the baking and cooking is one part I always look forward to!

Reaction score
We do not have Christmas cookies tradition in our home. We focus cooking the main dishes for our Christmas Eve Noche Buena where all the members of our family and their families eat together and have gifts giving and exchange gifts. For our desserts we just make no bake cheesecakes and icebox cakes which do not need baking because it will take me more time to bake for a large group of visitors.

Ask a Question