Cinnamon in bread dough

Reaction score
We are in a lockdown, so I decided to make wheat bread roll and decided to add 1/8 tsp ground cinammon. It's been more than 3 hours and it's still not proved. I made it earlier than the dinner rolls I made. The dinner rolls have proved and I've baked them

What could have happened? Does cinnamon have any negative effect on bread dough? I made same last week without cinnamon and it was perfect. Any help, please?

Reaction score
We are in a lockdown, so I decided to make wheat bread roll and decided to add 1/8 tsp ground cinammon. It's been more than 3 hours and it's still not proved. I made it earlier than the dinner rolls I made. The dinner rolls have proved and I've baked them

What could have happened? Does cinnamon have any negative effect on bread dough? I made same last week without cinnamon and it was perfect. Any help, please?

Yes cinnamon has an adverse effect on yeast activity. I am quoting Jeffrey Hamelman, one of the foremost experts on bread in the United States:

“Cinnamon (specifically the chemical compound cinnamic aldehyde) greatly impairs the yeast activity, so a higher percentage of yeast is necessary to overcome it. (Tree-bark spices in general, such as mace, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon have compounds that inhibit yeast activity when used in appreciable amounts.)”

Reaction score

Look at pepperidge farm cinn raisin bread, you'll notice the cinn is spiraled into the loaf.
If they mixed that much cinn into the dough it would kill the yeast.
Same goes for danish dough its better to make cinn sugar and spread it on the dough, then fold or roll it up.

Ask a Question