Cinnamon rolls without cutting log

Reaction score
I have made the rolls in the past and they came out great.

I would like to know if I can make them all the way through the rolling up into the log shape before cutting,

and just let the log rise and then bake the log and cut after baking.

If so, what special baking instructions do I need to know?

Extra rising time, baking time, topping etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance

The Fishman

Reaction score
Essentially you’re just going to make a loaf. When you slice it you’ll have raw edges you won’t have that nice exterior crust with the soft fluffy interior of an individual roll.

I just do something like a cinnamon Babka.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.
Never had a Babka!
I guess I will have to try that.

for some reason babka has gone from an old Jewish grandma's dessert that no one really wanted to eat to an Instagram star. In the makeover, it went from a dry cinnamon loaf to a buttery rich more brioche like loaf. And many now fill it with chocolate, making for an extra rich pastry.

But cinnamon is the traditional filling.

Reaction score
I will definitely try the chocolate version!
Do you butter it like toast?
Thanx again

If you want to try a chocolate version, I would recommend you give the recipe by Melissa Clark of New York Times a try. Her version is a little over the top, but it's worth the effort.

The New York Times food section may be behind a pay wall now. I have a subscription so if you can’t get to it let me know and I will DM you the recipe.

Honestly babka is so rich it doesn't need butter. But then again butter is like bacon...there’s no such thing as too much.

Reaction score
Seinfeld’s “lesser babka” episode is a must see for all babka bakers.

Another method to cut cinnamon rolls is to use fishing line or dental floss around the rolled up dough+filling, then tighten the string, cutting through the log without deforming it very much.

Reaction score
Seinfeld’s “lesser babka” episode is a must see for all babka bakers.

Another method to cut cinnamon rolls is to use fishing line or dental floss around the rolled up dough+filling, then tighten the string, cutting through the log without deforming it very much.

That’s hysterical. It’s odd how popular babka has become with social media. And changed into a rich brioche dough.

Ask a Question