Clearance candy

Reaction score
This morning I went to the grocery store and found the Valentine's leftovers on sale. I grabbed a few bags because I need some candies for some baked goods I am going to make soon. Does it matter that the colors will be holiday themed? Do any of you buy clearance candy for baking?

Reaction score
I am here to say that the colors and theme should not matter. And no I have never bought clearance candy as far as I can remember. What I will say is that I have quite a bit of candy in the fridge for the longest time and I really don't know what to do with besides throw it out.

I've delayed doing this as I think it's wastage, and I have not given it away to kids as I think I've had it way too long. What do you plan on baking with the candy?

Reaction score
I always think of buying it when it is on sale. I would bet some of it would freeze well.
I'm mostly thinking about chocolate bars like, snickers, etc. so, I guess in that way it wouldn't be seasonal.
The chocolate kisses would freeze well though and they wouldn't be holiday specific. Lol!
How did your baked goods turn out?

Reaction score
If your family is going to eat it, it doesn't really matter if the colors are holiday themed. I didn't pick up any candy today but I bought 3 clearance cake mixes for 50 cents each. My daughter won't mind eating pink cake.

Reaction score
I have not made anything yet, but I am going to make chocolate dipped cookies with chopped candies on top. Bring on the M&Ms and other pretty red candies. They are going to be so good.

Reaction score
I love clearance candy! After certain holiday over here you can buy some really tasty chocolate for only one euro each!!!! And am talking of semi gourmet quality chocolate! Love it, it's always good to have some of that around ;) I love using those for different things...

Reaction score
If your family is going to eat it, it doesn't really matter if the colors are holiday themed. I didn't pick up any candy today but I bought 3 clearance cake mixes for 50 cents each. My daughter won't mind eating pink cake.

Nice find =D I agree with you, as long as the family eats the things you get for them, it doesn't matter if they are holiday themed or not. I mean, during December we have a lot celebrations here and there is always chocolate on clearance after some specific dates ;) I don't care if the chocolate is Christmas themed, it still is super tasty =D

Reaction score
I love stocking up on clearance candy. Cut up candy peices are great in cookies and brownies or even a fun surprise in a cake pop. Seasonal cany id the best because you get those rare flavors.

Reaction score
I don't think it really matters, especially if you get the chocolate that's just wrapped in a heart-shape red foil but is still technically just chocolate inside. When I get those thing though (whether it's after Valentine's Day or whatever) I usually just eat it myself or stash it to eat it slowly over the year :p Solves my chocolate cravings!

Reaction score
  • I love stocking up on clearance candy. Cut up candy peices are great in cookies and brownies or even a fun surprise in a cake pop. Seasonal cany id the best because you get those rare flavors.
This. There's so many usages for candy if you don't like or eat them, use them as toppings or mix in with fillings for that extra bang of sweet to drive home the desert. It doesn't always have to be chocolate; candy canes work and many others will work.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried making something out of the chocolates that come in a heart shaped box? I wonder if you can melt them and dip things in them like strawberries. There are a lot of cool ideas online for using Easter candies, like Peeps smores but I didn't find a lot of Valentine's Day ideas.
The obvious use for Christmas candy canes is peppermint bark of course.

Reaction score
I love stocking up on clearance candy. Cut up candy peices are great in cookies and brownies or even a fun surprise in a cake pop. Seasonal cany id the best because you get those rare flavors.

I always stock up on chocolate, the perfect time for doing that over here is December :D Yup, a lot chocolate letters ;) Tasty chocolate letters! They're great for melting and using to make something else, I've even used some for pies and cakes

Reaction score
Has anyone tried making something out of the chocolates that come in a heart shaped box? I wonder if you can melt them and dip things in them like strawberries. There are a lot of cool ideas online for using Easter candies, like Peeps smores but I didn't find a lot of Valentine's Day ideas.
The obvious use for Christmas candy canes is peppermint bark of course.

I think you could use them to make deep fried candy bar type treats if you are into deep fried foods. My friend used to do deep fried candy bars with the fun sized bars after Halloween all the time. I am not sure what the filling would taste like once melted down, but it probably would not be bad.

Ask a Question