Why Did My Cherry Cobbler Dough Turn Green?

Reaction score
I made a cherry cobbler, and used typical ingredients for the topping: flour, butter, salt, sugar- nothing out of the ordinary. I dropped the dough by on top of the filling and popped it in the oven - when it came out of the oven the dough had turned green??? I did NOT put any food coloring in the dough - we did not eat it but I cannot figure out why this may have happened. Any ideas?? I wish I had a picture to post. - I tossed it w/out thinking to take one.

Reaction score
Did you use baking soda or baking powder? It sounds like it might have been some kind of reaction between one of these ingredients and the red in the cherry. I have not heard of a cooler doing this, but my red cornbread always turns green when it bakes, but it tastes fine.

What kind of pan did you use?

Reaction score
Apparently, baking powder that contains aluminum can create a reaction with acidic ingredients such as fruit. It can lead to bluish or green cakes and other baked foods. Who knew? I read about this recently. I guess sunflower seeds can also cause issues. I had no idea.

Reaction score
I guess in addition to the explanation above, once the aluminium, the cobbler could also be acting as blotting paper drawing out and separating the different parts of the colours as it stood before and during cooking. How quickly did you go from cobbler over the fruit to into the oven? Also was the oven up to temperature properly? (I'm from a chemistry background if you hadn't guessed).

Ask a Question