Coco bread

Reaction score
Coco bread is locally known as pan de coco to mean bread with coconut. The grated coconut is caramelized and serves as filling for the coco bread which looks like a bagel in a smaller version. There used to be a saying that you can only afford coco bread when you have money because it is eaten as it is unlike other bread which needs a spread of butter or pate. But coco bread is now vanishing in bread stores in favor of the donut and croissant.

Reaction score
This is a common bread to find in every bakeshop while growing up. We always have pan de coco if our breakfast is pandesal. Children of my age before likes it better because of the sweet taste and its filling. In the province, this is still the classic favorite for many.

Reaction score
I love coconut flavored things so I think I would enjoy this! I am always interested in your posts - I never knew about all the sweets and baked goods from the Philippines before reading your forum posts here! :)

Reaction score
I had to ask my husband to buy pan de coco just so I can share the picture here. But this one we bought is not the best coco bread because the grated coconut did not blend well with the bread, I find it too sweet in contrast with the creamy taste of the bread itself. One piece costs 5 pesos, that's about 10 cents so you can guess that it is a cheap version of coco bread. Maybe I can find a better coco bread for my next posting.
IMG_3445 pan de coco.jpg

Ask a Question