Coconut Bread

Reaction score
This is called Lambertville Station Coconut Bread. Apparently Lambertville Station is a local restaurant. I love coconut, and I love quick breads, but I've never heard of coconut bread before, so this caught me by surprise. I'm hoping to have the time (and ingredients) to make this soon. From the reviews, it seems most people really enjoy it, although apparently it wasn't sweet or moist enough for a few. I would probably eat this with a nice cup of hot tea, or perhaps milk. It looks super easy, which is right up my alley.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lambertville-station-coconut-bread

Ingredients
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted

My Savings Add to Grocery List
Nutritional Facts

1 slice equals 182 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in coconut.
  2. Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Lambertville Station Coconut Bread in Taste of Home

Attachments

• coconut bread recipe.jpg
    coconut bread recipe.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 436
Reaction score
Well somewhere around here I believe I spoke about my coconut bread success. Looking at your recipe it looks quite similar. I was pleased as punch. I made it a few times and was happy except on one occasion. In my country we have something we call a sweet bread or coconut bread that is made with grated coconut. It's outstanding. The true bread makers might not appreciate me using coconut flakes.

Reaction score
Well somewhere around here I believe I spoke about my coconut bread success. Looking at your recipe it looks quite similar. I was pleased as punch. I made it a few times and was happy except on one occasion. In my country we have something we call a sweet bread or coconut bread that is made with grated coconut. It's outstanding. The true bread makers might not appreciate me using coconut flakes.

I'll have to look for it, did you post a recipe? I've never heard of it, although I do have a bad memory. I love anything coconut, pineapple, and especially, both combined. I rarely see fresh coconuts here, so would probably use coconut flakes for anything coconut I made, so that doesn't bother me at all :).

Reaction score
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/03/coconut-bread/ That right there is the recipe I used and was so proud of myself. I was trying to find a picture of my bread without success. A Bajan (Barbadian) sweet bread is definitely with the grated coconut. It's a labour of love but someone told me recently he buys his from the Supermarket packaged. Way back in the day, it was from the tree, allowed to dry and husked as I remember us calling it. You'd take a hoe use it to get to the shell before you broke it and extracted the coconut to grate. I don't know if I said all that correctly but it does bring back fond memories.

Reaction score
I've never made coconut bread specifically, but I do add coconut to a lot of other baking I do, especially in banana bread which I mentioned in another thread a moment ago. I love the taste (always reminds me of tropical vacations!) so that's a bit of an incentive to give this a whirl. If I can't go on a vacation right now, I can do it vicariously through food ;)

Reaction score
That bread looks amazing! I might consider making it later on when I have kids at home. Been thinking that the store bought bread is not that guy, we need a better change :) I bet this bread tastes great with sandwiches! I'm looking forward to truly fresh sandwiches, so tired of the store bought stuff.

Reaction score
I've never made coconut bread specifically, but I do add coconut to a lot of other baking I do, especially in banana bread which I mentioned in another thread a moment ago. I love the taste (always reminds me of tropical vacations!) so that's a bit of an incentive to give this a whirl. If I can't go on a vacation right now, I can do it vicariously through food ;)

I saw when you mentioned earlier in your post about banana bread and I thought to myself "wow, she really plays around with her banana bread". Give it a whirl and since you like to play with stuff, you can add some things and let us know how it turns out.

Trellum you must try it and I like to melt cheese on most breads I eat.

Reaction score
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/03/coconut-bread/ That right there is the recipe I used and was so proud of myself. I was trying to find a picture of my bread without success. A Bajan (Barbadian) sweet bread is definitely with the grated coconut. It's a labour of love but someone told me recently he buys his from the Supermarket packaged. Way back in the day, it was from the tree, allowed to dry and husked as I remember us calling it. You'd take a hoe use it to get to the shell before you broke it and extracted the coconut to grate. I don't know if I said all that correctly but it does bring back fond memories.

Oh I'm salivating here. I haven't had breakfast, and I'm going through the ingredients, thinking I have everything called for, to make this. I don't know if it will be today, but I'm willing to bet I'll be making this recipe. It sounds and looks delicious!

Reaction score
Oh I'm salivating here. I haven't had breakfast, and I'm going through the ingredients, thinking I have everything called for, to make this. I don't know if it will be today, but I'm willing to bet I'll be making this recipe. It sounds and looks delicious!

Go for it! Don't delay! Don't be like me. I drag my feet and miss out on a lot of good stuff. Since you have the ingredients you are in a good position. I made it a few times now. When I find something I like and it turns out well, I make it over and over again until I think we are tired of it or the next best thing pops up.

Reaction score
I love eating fresh coconut that is why when I saw this thread it caught my attention. Can you use fresh coconut meat instead of coconut flakes so that you can feel the natural taste of the coconut in the bread? Just asking... Thank you...

Reaction score
I love eating fresh coconut that is why when I saw this thread it caught my attention. Can you use fresh coconut meat instead of flakes so that you can feel the natural taste of the coconut in the bread? Just asking... Thank you...
We use fresh grated coconut. I think a true baker would laugh at my bread if I said it was coconut bread or as we call it sweet bread and used coconut flakes.
Here is recipe that would probably work for most of the locals; the ones who need a recipe. Real veterans bake this bread minus a recipe.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Actually I grew up in a tropical country and we had lots of coconut trees there. But when I got married I migrated to another country but this coming December maybe I will go for a vacation to visit my family and I am thinking to try making this one that is why there is no problem. Again thank you for sharing this recipe :)

Ask a Question