Coconut crunchies

Reaction score
Pardon me if this does not belong to this board.

Coconut crunchies is our concoction that my husband inherited from his mother. It is nice to eat while watching tv. It is easy to cook and so few needed ingredients. Here is the recipe...

Ingredients:
- 1 whole coconut, grated
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 4 cups of water

Procedure:
Put all the ingredients in a pan and continually stir while cooking. When the coconut is turning brown, it will be sticky and the coconut will tend to connect. The stirring should be continuous. And at this point, you can lower the fire of the stove. Stir until the grated coconut dries up and separate from each other - not sticky anymore. You can harvest the crunchy coconut at this point.

Reaction score
I would say you posted in just the right spot!

Love that there are only three ingredients in this! I really enjoy coconut flavored things. Do you kind of just make the mix into bite size pieces or something? And then refrigerate?

Reaction score
The grated coconut are small bits, smaller than the grain of rice. It can be considered a dip or sprinkle for cakes. It is actually used as a sprinkle for our native rice cake. I love it when we have coconut crunchies and we buy rice pudding. I could eat so much that I would pass for dinner.

With that round or square shape about the crunchies, you have to harvest the mixture while it is still sticky so you can form it in the desired shape. We call it Bucayo, that sticky coconut crunchies which is not crunchy yet. An overcooked Bucayo is the real coconut crunchies. But either way, it is both good to eat - sticky or not.

Reaction score
I love eating coconut and while we are making comments about this thread I can't help but to imagine that I am eating this coconut crunchies and I miss eating this kind of sweet food already.

Reaction score
Well I have to say that traditionally I am not the biggest fan of coconut that there is out there, but having the word crunchies next to it does raise my interest level quite a bit. Sometimes all it takes is having something a different way then you are used to to come around on them, and I have had several of those with food items, mushrooms coming to mind right away. Maybe this will be another one, and for that thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I saw this and I thought to myself this sounds like something we call sugar cakes. I've never made any myself but my mom would. It's the kind of thing that only your mom makes and of course it is super sweet. As a child I used to like to eat mine with our local eclipse biscuit. It was weird to some but I liked to eat the biscuits to cut back on the taste of sugar.

Reaction score
Yum, I think these would be good formed into patties with seeds or almonds, as well as plain patties, overcooked and eaten. Adding them to rice pudding would definitely elevate that a notch, too, in my opinion, since I love both rice pudding and also coconut.

Reaction score
When I was young, I hated everything containing coconut, but I'm starting to acquire quite the taste for it, particularly when it contains other ingredients. This seems like a really easy recipe I may try out for friends, but may be a little too much for me. Thanks for sharing!

Ask a Question