Coffee ... Flavored or Plain

Reaction score
I am a huge coffee drinker, and I dink it all day long into the late afternoon. My favorite cup, I'm guessing like most drinkers, is the freshly brewed first cup. Once I discovered flavored coffee, I was hooked and didn't look back! My favorite flavor is half plain and half blueberry. If I go straight up, it tastes bitter to me. The worst flavor I ever had was cinnamon. I only had it once in the 90's, and I've never seen it offered since then.

Flavored VS Plain ... how do you prefer your coffee? If flavored, what's your favorite flavor? What's your least favorite?

Reaction score
Plain for me, but to be fair I have never had the chance to try a flavoured coffee, at least now a decent one. I might give that a try next year, hopefully next year will be the year I try a lot new things. I'm not a big fan of coffee, but I know someone who is :) Drinks it on a daily basis :p As far as I know they drink it plain as well and oh so strong!!! So strong it's bitter, yikes!

Reaction score
Absolutely plain. I see little point in having vanilla flavour coffee. Worse still blueberry flavoured coffee. I shudder. I love blueberries don't get me wrong, but coffee should be coffee flavoured... I also had coffee flavoured cake, so don't worry! :D

Reaction score
I am a huge coffee drinker too and I like just a plain brewed cup with a little cream and sugar. I am not into the flavored coffees unless I am really in the mood for something different. The best cup is always the first one in the morning and I prefer Seattle's Best coffee.

Reaction score
I am not a coffee person but on the odd occasion when I do have it, it's plain. Recently I had a few cups of a caffeine free coffee my mother-in-law uses when she comes to sleep over which is basically every night. Only this evening I used some in a chocolate cake recipe.

Reaction score
I'm a plain coffee girl most of the time too, however, I have been known to add cardamom seeds (both black and green) to the coffee grinder with my coffee beans, and this is a really lovely flavour from time to time.

The only other time I dabble in flavoured coffee is if I have a Nespresso pod - they have a vanilla flavoured coffee, a caramel and a chocolate - none of these are a very strong flavour, just a hint of vanila etc. I like it from time to time, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Reaction score
I might have to try the cardamom seeds in my coffee sometime - I am totally intrigued by this!

Winterybella, I have a chocolate cake recipe that uses coffee as well. I have to make sure to use decaf when I make it or I spend hours being shakey after I have a piece. Between all the caffein and sugar, I can't sit still :)

Reaction score
Plain dark-roast with a touch of sugar to edge out the bitterness and a splash of half-and-half. I used to enjoy some flavored coffees but the flavors began to taste artificial to me. I may now try cardamom or some other real flavorings though. I don't know how that hadn't occurred to me before.

Reaction score
I am not a coffee drinker but if there is a chance that I can drink a cup of coffee I rather want the one with flavor. It always satisfy me having it with sugar and creamer.

Reaction score
I'm a plain coffee girl most of the time too, however, I have been known to add cardamom seeds (both black and green) to the coffee grinder with my coffee beans, and this is a really lovely flavour from time to time.

The only other time I dabble in flavoured coffee is if I have a Nespresso pod - they have a vanilla flavoured coffee, a caramel and a chocolate - none of these are a very strong flavour, just a hint of vanila etc. I like it from time to time, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Thanks for the idea ;) I had no idea that cardamom seeds could be used for coffee. This idea have opened my mind to many other new possibilities. I might give it a try in the new house, because over here I don't have a grinder :p Since we are not avid coffee drinkers.

Reaction score
The other day I had flavored coffee while having breakfast outside with a friend, we asked for a moka cinnamon coffee. I always ask for americano. She loved the moka coffee, I honestly didn't like it. It was so sweet and tasted so unnatural.... so artificial. I will surely go for the american one next time. That coffee tasted like warm chocolate!

Reaction score
I generally prefer plain. Most of the flavored coffees I have had were not to my liking, with a few exceptions. I am mostly looking for a high quality bean and high quality roasting rather than added flavors. Nothing covers the taste of low quality beans or bad roasting.

Reaction score
I love flavored coffee -- there's so many yummy varieties! There's a particular couple that we buy which are Chocolate Macadamia and Vanilla Macadamia (from memory they are by a Hawaiian coffee brand...Kona something?) and they're just so delicious! It's a fair bit more expensive than standard coffee though, so most of the time we just stick to plain brewed coffee and tend to get flavored varieties as a bit of a treat to mix things up.

Reaction score
I have coffee every weekday morning. When you have to talk to people for 8hrs straight, you gotta start with something! For hot coffee, my preference is cinnamon with cream and sugar. Not heavily spiced, just enough to let you know it's there. If it's cold, caramel is my go to, vanilla a close second. I actually prefer the smell of coffee over the taste, but i do love a good cup! My bff turned me on to having hot coffee with brown sugar and cream... also very tasty!

Don't look at me funny, but McD's uses and amazing Arabica blend that makes for an outstanding cup every time, hot, cold or frap!

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well I have really shaken up my coffee life. I have gone from auto-drip using "Pete's" Coffee to making flavored Cappuccinos with my brand new Delonghi Cafe Expresso Machine. I am totally loving it. Flavors(Syrups for drinks) are Cherry, English Toffee, Irish Cream, Toasted Marshmellow, Cookie Dough, Mint Chocolate Chip, Red Velvet, Cupcake, Coconut and Cheesecake. Also coco powder and sugar/cinnamon. I make a lot of froth for each cup, kinda like this...

Last edited:

Ask a Question