Coffee Makers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ChesterV, Feb 5, 2017.

1. ChesterV

ChesterV Well-Known Member

Not really a baking item, but does make a yummy drink that goes with baked goodies!!!

Do you like coffee or tea? Do you use a coffee/tea machine?
    If so, what kind do you have? Does it work well? Would you suggest it to others?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ChesterV, Feb 5, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. ChesterV

I'm actually looking for a new coffee machine.

I like these "pod" machines or "K cup" machines that make one cup at a time.

I like the My Cafe machine from Bunn, but its really expen$ive. I can't see spending $100 and over on a small machine that just makes coffee. But I like the different "baskets" is has....as you can make coffee with fresh grounds, or from a pod/Kcup, or tea, or even just hot water!
    [​IMG]

Im looking for something similar that is a lot cheaper, but have not found anything yet.

ChesterV, Feb 5, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. ChesterV

Becky Well-Known Member

We got a Nespresso machine recently, which I really like. I don't drink caffeine but I love coffee, so we got it because the decaf is really good. The only downsides are that the pods are tiny, and it's pretty expensive. When we were last in the US we stayed in an AirBnB place that had a Keurig coffee machine and it was great! My husband much preferred it to our Nespresso machine.

Unless you're a coffee connoisseur I don't think you need to spend a lot. You're lucky in the USA that you have such a massive range of coffee pods to pick from!

Becky, Feb 6, 2017
    ChesterV likes this.
  4. ChesterV

Well, I found a new machine that is regularly $60.00 or more, for only $30.00 on Ebay. I LOVE EBAY!!
    It's not the Bunn I want, but it's close. It uses pods or grounds, which is all I really want.

Hamilton Beach FlexBrew
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, pods are pretty cheap.........so many companies make coffee pods of all kinds now.
    So much competition, they are just cheap. There is a store called Big Lots, and I saw a box of 100 pods/Kcups for $20.00. So yeah....I think I will be happy with this machine.

Plus, I find boxes of Kcups on clearance racks all the time, especially "holiday" flavors that don't sell too well. I snatched up a box of Tootsie Roll Hot Chocolate Kcups at the store the other day for $3.00.

They also have reusable Kcups you can buy and put your own coffee in them. So if I really like this machine, I will probably get some reusable Kcups.

ChesterV, Feb 7, 2017
    Norcalbaker59 and Becky like this.
  5. ChesterV

PhiltheFluter Member

Apologies for waking an old thread, I'm a new member and thought I'd share my tiny coffee machine.
    It's called an Aeropress, and makes a kind of half strength espresso.
    [​IMG]
    It works like a big syringe. It produces lovely smooth coffee. I combine it with a hand grinder and it's hard to beat the quality, especially considering the £25-ish price tag. I used to use it when camping too, it can be taken anywhere.
    For anyone struggling to lay out a fortune on a coffee machine I'd thoroughly recommend it. Also if you wanted to make decent coffee on a budget for cake flavouring.

PhiltheFluter, Apr 24, 2018
    Becky and Norcalbaker59 like this.
  6. ChesterV

cyber ghostx13 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Well I recently decided to shake up my boring, automatic, coffee(regular) life and bought a Delonghi Cafe Expresso Maker( with ESE Pod option) and I have been making flavored cappuccinos ever since. Flavors like Cherry, Coconut, English Toffee, Red Velvet, Cheese Cake, Cookie Dough and a few others. Now all my breakfasts are special like a cappuccino and a slice of apple pie.

cyber ghostx13, Apr 24, 2018
    PhiltheFluter likes this.
  7. ChesterV

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

This is how my brother makes coffee. He’s an artisan coffee roaster. He’s created a partnership with coffee growers in Mexico to import and distribute their coffee beans in the US.

Many in the roasting community use the aeropress.

I use a French press. I have to admit when my brother makes a cup of coffee for me with his aeropress it’s far superior to the coffee my French press produces.

Norcalbaker59, Apr 24, 2018
  8. ChesterV

I think the reusable k cups make the most sense economically and environmentally.

9. ChesterV

PhiltheFluter Member

Yeah, because you don't leave the coffee brew/stew for long it produces a lovely smooth flavour. It makes a difference hand grinding the beans for each cup too. I use a cheap hand grinder like this.
    [​IMG]
    It was only £8. People are genuinely shocked at the premium taste the little combo can produce. Even more impressive in the middle of a field using a spirit burner for heat.

PhiltheFluter, Apr 24, 2018
    cyber ghostx13 and Norcalbaker59 like this.
  10. ChesterV

Yes, my brother actually times his press. He said the bitterness is a result of coffee soaking in water and the French press causing damage to the ground coffee as its pressed. He explained the aeropress doesn’t cause that damage.

11. ChesterV

Becky Well-Known Member

We've got an Aeropress too, they're fantastic. Usually it's just Ian drinking coffee, and it's great for making one cup. I used to drink a lot of decaf coffee, and so we got a Nespresso machine because their decaf is great (something to do with the fact that they don't use solvents to remove the caffeine). Plus I like that the pods are 100% recyclable, and you can send them for processing free of charge.

Becky, Apr 25, 2018
  12. ChesterV

I’m thinking I should buy an aeropress. It really does make a difference. My son and DIL have the Nespresso machine too. She drinks coffee, son doesn’t. One really good thing about them is everyone can choose the flavor they prefer.

Norcalbaker59, Apr 26, 2018
    Becky and PhiltheFluter like this.
  13. ChesterV

Becky Well-Known Member

Yep exactly! Plus it's great when you fancy an espresso martini on a whim :D

Becky, Apr 26, 2018
    Norcalbaker59 and PhiltheFluter like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question