Cold eggs or room temp?

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by posiimage, Mar 29, 2016.

1. posiimage

posiimage Member

I need a dispute settled. I was always told to bake with room temperature eggs. Recently a friend said that this was an Old school method and isn't necessary. As far as old school is concerned, I don't remember whether my my did it or not but I just know that it seems to make the batter fluffier.

posiimage, Mar 29, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. posiimage

kramersl Member

Using cold eggs in recipes that have a high fat content like cheesecake or butter cake can cause the fat to re-solidify causing the batter to curdle slightly and the end baked products texture can be affected, Also, room temp eggs whip up to a greater volume, so you are right, a batter made with room temp eggs is indeed fluffier.

kramersl, Mar 29, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. posiimage

ChesterV Well-Known Member

Always use room temperature ingredients, unless the recipe specifically says otherwise.

ChesterV, Mar 29, 2016
  4. posiimage

cupcakechef Well-Known Member

I too have always done room temperature eggs, I don't know if it's out of date or not when it comes to schools of thought of baking - but it's never done me wrong thus far so I'm sticking with it!

cupcakechef, Mar 29, 2016
  5. posiimage

Becky Well-Known Member

I think having all your ingredients at the same temperature works best.

So for cakes, when you need soft butter, it's best to have room temperature ingredients.

Conversely when you are making something like pastry, you don't want the butter to melt so it's best to use chilled ingredients - including the eggs.

Becky, Mar 29, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question