Colour fade and rainbow cake

Reaction score
At the weekend I made a cake with coloured sponges on the inside and a faded colour icing on the outside. It's my first time trying to do icing of this style, so I'm really proud with how it turned out.

I need to get round to buying a turntable so I can do the icing perfectly, but I think the overall effect is good! :D

Inside it's a victoria sponge, strawberry jam, and the buttercream is vanilla

cake pic 1.JPG
cake pic 2.JPG

OH - So here's something I want to ask. I really want to focus on my cake decorating skills, but I also want to make sure I have different flavoured cakes in my repertoire so I'm not always bringing the same flavours.

Do you guys have recipes for nice flavoured cakes that I can practice decorating and piping on?

Reaction score
At the weekend I made a cake with coloured sponges on the inside and a faded colour icing on the outside. It's my first time trying to do icing of this style, so I'm really proud with how it turned out.

I need to get round to buying a turntable so I can do the icing perfectly, but I think the overall effect is good! :D

Inside it's a victoria sponge, strawberry jam, and the buttercream is vanilla

View attachment 1562 View attachment 1563

OH - So here's something I want to ask. I really want to focus on my cake decorating skills, but I also want to make sure I have different flavoured cakes in my repertoire so I'm not always bringing the same flavours.

Do you guys have recipes for nice flavoured cakes that I can practice decorating and piping on?
Hello,
You’re Cake looks delicious and colorful, I love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Wow, that cake is beautiful! You've done a great job with the decorating, you must be feeling justifiable happy with that! :)

Do you have any tips for doing the colour fade?

Reaction score
Nice job Daniel, the ombre is beautiful. I'm busy the next couple of weeks (out of town babysitting my niece), but I'll message you with a few recipes when I get a chance. Are you baking in volume or by weight?

Reaction score
Nice job Daniel, the ombre is beautiful. I'm busy the next couple of weeks (out of town babysitting my niece), but I'll message you with a few recipes when I get a chance. Are you baking in volume or by weight?
I always bake using weight, although I measure liquid ingredients by volume. I'd really appreciate the recipes! Thanks Norcalbaker :)

Reaction score
Wow, that cake is beautiful! You've done a great job with the decorating, you must be feeling justifiable happy with that! :)

Do you have any tips for doing the colour fade?

Not really... hahaha. I made 4 different shades of the pink icing and then piped them in lines around the cake, before smoothing out with a bench scraper. In the bowls it was difficult to see the differences in the shade, they look quite a bit more different on the actual cake, so I'd say that's good to take into account.

Reaction score
I always bake using weight, although I measure liquid ingredients by volume. I'd really appreciate the recipes! Thanks Norcalbaker :)

Great, I’ll get you some recipes soon. I’ll note general adjustments for high altitude baking as well.

Reaction score

Daniel, I did not forget about you my friend. I've been swamped with some personal work, helping my brother with his food business, and developing a couple of recipes. I'm going to work on the cake recipes for you this week. I use cake flour, which is not available in Mexico. So I am going to revise the recipes for AP flour. And as I mentioned, make notations on adjustments for your high altitude situation.

Reaction score
Aw, thank you Norcalbaker!!! No need to rush, don't make this a priority, I've been totally swamped too and haven't been able to bake properly in at least 3 weeks

Ask a Question