Colouring french macarons O.o ?!

Reaction score
Hi,
I tried making french macarons the other day and they turned out somewhat successful, (i had to spoon them out as couldn't get a piping bag :O ) to colour them I used a liquid pink food colouring and as per the instructions added them to the egg whites before whisking.. when i went to bake the macarons the colour completely faded as they baked :( is there anything i'm doing wrong? Or do i have to change to a gel food colouring?
Thank you!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 440
Reaction score
Hmm, I've never tried making them, are they difficult? The ones I've seen pictures of were brightly colored, so you could be right about the gel coloring. Yours looks good, though, just not as bright. In the future, you can use a ziploc bag for piping, put the ingredients in the bag, squeeze out the air, then snip off the corner of the bag. You won't be able to use a tip, but it might be easier and less messy than having to spoon it out.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Whichever food colouring you try in future, make sure it is 'bake safe' - they hold their colour better when you bake with them.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks. They turned out good colour, batter too wet though :( - next ones i used some red liquid as i used it all up (the gel) horrible, turned chocolate with a bad smell o_O - it said it wasn't bake stable :O Gonna try them again today

Reaction score
Oh no, I hope your next attempt turned out better! Macarons are hard, so don't feel bad if it takes a while to get them right.

Ask a Question