Choosing Between Convection and Propane for Baking Pot Pies

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering which product would be better for baking pot pies more evenly, consistently, and quickly. Thank you.

https://www.amazon.com/Mont-Alpi-MA...SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=propane+oven

Or
https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/pr...-nFSyQFU5j5mBczQN6hoCo_oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Welcome to the forum Jeremy.

When you say more evenly and consistently, I assume your having issues with the top crust browning and the bottom crust doughy and under cooked.

If that’s the case then it’s not an oven issue they are technique and recipe issues.

The pizza oven is going to bake way too hot. So you’re still going to end up with a very doughy bottom and really over baked top crust.

I’m not a fan of home convection ovens. Convection is designed for high production baking. In a commercial bakery they’re going to bake multiple sheets of product at a time. When there is a dozen pies or sheet pans in the oven, it needs more heat ti ensure all that products bake. In a home setting where you bake single sheet of cookies, one or two cakes or pies, convection bake way too hot.

Even in a commercial bakery, when using a convection oven you have to refoumulate your recipes and bake at a much lower temperature.

And the small countertop convection oven really aren’t that great for baking.

I had Viking convection ovens for years. Built-ins not countertop. I absolutely hated them for baking.

If you want some tips on how to bake a better pie let me know. I’ll be happy to pass on some information to you.

Reaction score
Hello, thank you for responding. I'm currently not having any issuses, I'm just wondering which would be a better piece of equipment for my food truck. I am currently using the propane oven I linked above, but the make shift ventilation system I have for it is getting in the way. What I should've been asking is, would that electric convection oven be a suitable replacement?

Reaction score
Hello, thank you for responding. I'm currently not having any issuses, I'm just wondering which would be a better piece of equipment for my food truck. I am currently using the propane oven I linked above, but the make shift ventilation system I have for it is getting in the way. What I should've been asking is, would that electric convection oven be a suitable replacement?

Ok, got it. My personal experience with Oster products is they will get the job done, just barely. Oster isn’t known for its durability either.
I doubt it will hold up to the rigors of a food business. Now I’ve not tried their countertop oven. Only their blenders and food processors. I wasn’t impressed. I tossed the Oster food processor sometime ago. I have the blender sitting back in my storage and collecting dust.

I’d be wary of those double doors. I doubt those doors are going to be very durable. With baking you need a good seal. Those doors look like trouble waiting to happen. Get s gap in between those doors and your not going to have the seal that you need.

A few months ago I was researching countertops ovens intending to buy one in the near future.

The two ovens that seem to have the best reviews are the Breville and Cuisinart Chefs Countertop. When I say reviews I mean from organizations actually test the products like the Wirecutter and Consumer Reports.

The Cuisinart Chef is a top pick from Consumer Reports. It heats up very fast, 350°F in about four minutes. All the reviews said it baked extremely well.

The link below is to a consumer who purchased the oven and tested it on a variety of baked goods. He said the oven baked as well as his Wolf. And I have to say I was pretty impressed with what he pulled out of the little countertop oven.

Reaction score
That seems to be the consensus on Oster. I didn't even think of double doors as being an issue, I appreciate you letting me know about those. After checking out the video you linked and other reviews, I'm going to go ahead and purchase the Cuisinart Chef oven, thank you very much for helping me out with all of this.

Reaction score
That seems to be the consensus on Oster. I didn't even think of double doors as being an issue, I appreciate you letting me know about those. After checking out the video you linked and other reviews, I'm going to go ahead and purchase the Cuisinart Chef oven, thank you very much for helping me out with all of this.

Your welcome. Hope it all works out. I’m going to buy the Cuisinart come January. Since I live in a 100 yr old house without air conditioning, I want a small stove that heats fast and bakes reasonably well to use in the summer months.

Ask a Question