Conversions:Close call with some rocks that finally converted

Reaction score
Not literal rocks. I had a close call with some rock cakes I made yesterday. I know I should not have issues with rock cakes. The things are so easy to make but I don't call myself a baker: I am learning.

I decide to follow a simple recipe I found which had the metric measurements (hope I got that right; no good with numbers). Anyway, I found the conversion and did my thing. What I neglected to do was make the conversion when it came to the baking temperature.

The cakes that should have been finished in 10/12 mins ended up being in the oven for about 25 mins all because of that simple oversight. Thankfully rock cakes are suppose to be like rock so everything worked out well in the end. They finally converted to the correct texture.Have you ever made mistakes when having to covert measurements and temperatures?

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I had done that before and let me tell you the results have been pretty! Actually a error in conversions was what caused my first batch of cookies to turn out to be so hard! And the next time I tried I got a molten mess!

Reaction score
the first pudding i made. it is a special recipe from my mom and she bakes this pudding. a caramel pudding. she had written down the ingredients the way she makes it. i went to a friend's house and tried it out to surprise her after converting it into the way she measure it. we forgot to convert the temperature and to top it off, the oven broke and we head to steam it... luckily it tasted nice in the end :p

Reaction score
Baking...It's come to be quite an interesting run for me. I always wonder what will be the next new thing to discover. Whatever the case, I am happy to be learning. Where the conversion is concerned I doubt I'd be making that mistake anytime soon again.

Reaction score
I know how you feel! It rfeels amazing to bake something for the first time and get it right! Baking can be such a wonderful skill :) I remember my first quiche ever, it turned really good actually and we all ate it. We ate it all :O We rarely do that with food, there always seems to be some sort of leftover, lol.

Reaction score
So yet again my big plans for doing something new fell through and just to keep the new weekend tradition going I ended up trying out my rock cakes again. This time the temperature was right and they were fine.........but you know me....I have a "try something different" approach to things and decided to grease and FLOUR the baking sheet. I don't think it was necessary, but in the end everything worked out well. There isn't much that can go wrong with rock cakes thankfully.

Ask a Question