Converting Pound Cake Recipe for Layered Birthday Cake

Reaction score
I'm new to baking so hopefully this isn't a silly question. I have my grandma's yummy pound cake recipe that I've made a few times. I usually make it in a bundt cake pan. I'm making a birthday cake this week for a relative and they like yellow cake with chocolate icing. Should there be any issues if I take the pound cake recipe and split it between 3 nine inch round cake pans and layer them?

Reaction score
I'm new to baking so hopefully this isn't a silly question. I have my grandma's yummy pound cake recipe that I've made a few times. I usually make it in a bundt cake pan. I'm making a birthday cake this week for a relative and they like yellow cake with chocolate icing. Should there be any issues if I take the pound cake recipe and split it between 3 nine inch round cake pans and layer them?

A formula is used to scale a recipe to a cake pan.

Not knowing the metric weight of your ingredients and the size of your pans it’s impossible to scale properly.

You have to know the total weight the better makes, the size of the original pan (Bundt pan), and size of the pan you want to use.

Lacking all that information the best you can do is use a measuring cup and count the number of cups and partial cups of liquid to fill the bundt pan to the approximate level that the batter normally fills the pan.

Then transfer that liquid to three 9 in cake pans. Fill the cake pans 2/3 full. do you have enough liquid to fill 3 pans?

if not you may need to double the batch.

Ask a Question