Cookie 911

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just made cookies for a friend and she called me to say there were small black, seed like/ pits that were hard in a bunch of the cookies. We are some broken ones yesterday and didn't see anything so it wasn't in all the cookies. Has anyone ever seen this and know what it is!?

Ingredients in the cookies: flour, white sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, egg & baking powder

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just made cookies for a friend and she called me to say there were small black, seed like/ pits that were hard in a bunch of the cookies. We are some broken ones yesterday and didn't see anything so it wasn't in all the cookies. Has anyone ever seen this and know what it is!?

Ingredients in the cookies: flour, white sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, egg & baking powder

Sounds like flour beetles. If your flour was not stored in an airtight container, flour mites and beetles can easily get inside the bag. Sometimes flour comes contaminated from the manufacturer as flour beetles can get into grain silos.

Whenever you bake, it's best to check your flour for mites and beetles. Once when I lived on the East Coast after a particularly long hot spell I pulled out a canister of flour, popped the top off and a moth few out.

It's best to take everything out of your pantry and wash everything down. Toss all flours, grains, and cereals that are not in an air tight container.

Flour beetles are creepy, but you won't get sick from them. And if you wash everything down in your pantry there are quite easy to eradicate.

Flour has a shelf life. Most of flours will keep for 6 to 9 months in a cool dry place in an airtight container. I write the date I open the bag on tape, then adhere to my canister.

A flour like whole wheat will only keep about two months before going rancid. That's due to the inclusion of bran and endosperm. Whole wheat flour is best stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It should be used within four months if stored in the refrigerator

Reaction score
Hmmm darn it! Makes me nervous because I do cut out sugar cookies, so I'm constantly putting flour in my baking surface and didn't notice anything

Reaction score
Hmmm darn it! Makes me nervous because I do cut out sugar cookies, so I'm constantly putting flour in my baking surface and didn't notice anything

Don't feel bad, it's very hard to detect flour bug infestation Anyone who bakes a lot is going to encounter a flour beetle or flour mite infestation. It's part of baking. When you purchase new bags of flour trying not to shake them around much. When you open them, look inside the bag before you do anything. If there are small holes in the flour, as if someone took a small tiny stick and poke holes , return the flour to the store. Those holes are an indication that there are bugs in the flour.

Mills inspect for infestation on regular schedules. But infestations still happen. So it's always a good idea to check the flour in the bag as soon as you open it.

More often than not bakers don't notice infestation in their flour. The eggs are microscopic so you can't see them. And frequently the adult bug appears as a tiny speck, so go unnoticed, especially if they're using a high extraction flour as it's very coarse.

Looking at your sugar cookie ingredients list, there's nothing in there that would crystallize to a hard black granule. If you were using vanilla paste as opposed to extract you would see tiny black flecks of vanilla bean, but they're not like granules. They're just tiny little flecks of which you cannot feel the texture. I routinely use vanilla paste and it certainly is not anything you can feel, let alone separate from the dough.

Infestation doesn't necessarily even have to originate from your flour. Any grain, cereal, rice, stored in your pantry could be the source. It's always best to store all these types of foods in air tight hard plastic, glass, or metal containers. Try to cycle through these products within three months. The longer these products are stored in your pantry that greater likelihood of infestation

Ask a Question