Cookie binding alternative

Reaction score
Hi all,

My little girl is on a special diet (ketogenic diet) which is quite difficult but we are managing so far. We have to make her own snacks and one recipe is for a cookie which she seems to like but the trouble is it crumbles to crumbs almost as soon as she picks it up. The recipe is below and perhaps someone could suggest a method of creating the cookie so that it doesn't immediately crumble.

Thanks in advance. The ketogenic diet is for epilepsy and is low carbs, low protein and high fat.

Butter, spreadable - 14g
Eggs - 9g
Almonds, ground - 5g
Macadamia nuts, salted - 15g
Icing sugar - 2g

Preheat oven to 150c
Grind macadamia nuts to a paste
Soften butter into macadamia nuts and ground almonds
Beat in the egg and add to the nut mixture with a pinch of cinnamon and liquid sweetener
Place spoonful dollops on greaseproof paper and spread out into cookies
Bake in oven for 15 minutes
Dust with icing sugar

Reaction score
I am not sure what icing sugar is, but I wonder if you could use honey instead. Honey is very, very sticky and might help. Also, you could try reducing the sugar and substituting banana for part of it as that is also sticky. Since it already has eggs in it, I'm not really sure what else you can do without adding a fair amount of carbs via some sort of grain.

Reaction score
I am not sure what icing sugar is, but I wonder if you could use honey instead. Honey is very, very sticky and might help. Also, you could try reducing the sugar and substituting banana for part of it as that is also sticky. Since it already has eggs in it, I'm not really sure what else you can do without adding a fair amount of carbs via some sort of grain.

Thanks for response. Icing sugar in Scotland I think is what you might call "Glaze" in the USA. You might use it to mix with water and spread over cakes or doughnuts etc to provide a white sweet layer.

Honey might be an option as she can have honey. Would we add it into the mixture before forming the cookies on the tray or would we coat the cookies on the tray before baking?

Thanks again

Ask a Question