How to Achieve Consistent Texture for Cookies

Reaction score
Hello, I am an avid cookie baker and I have been playing around with my recipe more recently. This is my normal recipe:
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups unsifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

I started to notice some inconsistencies and I am not sure what to do. So I stopped using two sticks of butter and cut down to 1 & 1/2 sticks of butter. I use more flour as well. Just a little more. Where the 2 cups line stops I just pour till almost the top of the measuring cup and them i do my 1/4 cup as well. My friend is telling me CONSTANTLY that my cookies changed. She said that they are more doughy now and seem to be undercooked. I know for a fact they're not undercooked because the cookies cook for 12-15 minutes. My cookies are even brown all over but its something about the texture that has changed. I would really love your feedback on what I can do to still have my cookies be good with that great texture and not be doughy. It seems like I use my same recipe for my Chocolate chip Pecan cookie and it comes out great. Not sure if the additional pecans is creating more space for the dough to spread. I need help! I have go to the point where now I always bake cookies at night so they can set and be more firm. I am getting a more moist cookie now and I miss my texture. All advice is appreciated.

Reaction score
If nothing else has changed, then it may be down to how you are measuring out the ingredients. I'm in the UK and recipes here are done by weight, and you always get the same result. When you're measuring out ingredients in cups it's easy to get different amounts each time, so it may be that. I'm just guessing though!

Reaction score
Becky is right, if you are using different measuring devices, it can change the outcome of the baked goods.

Here in America, measuring devices are generalized, they aren't standardized. So one cup in one measuring device might be 1.2 cup in another measuring device, or even .95 in another measuring device.

Always use the exact same measuring devices.

For your cookies coming out tasting doughy.....that usually means--

you have bad flour
you have old baking soda
different sized eggs (if you usually use small eggs, larger ones can make a difference)
butter or margarine has too much water in it
oven is baking too hot and the outside is getting done before the middle is fully baked
possibly putting them on a different level rack in the oven
using a different oven
changed from convection to standard (or other way around)
dough wasn't mixed well enough

hope that helps

Ask a Question