Cookie in a mug?

Reaction score
So my friend introduced me to a funny (great for poor students like me) recipe for a cookie in a cup- only take 40 seconds in the microwave!

Take a tablespoon of butter and melt in in the mug.
Add three tablespoons of sugar and one egg yolk.
Mix together.
Add half a tablespoon of vanilla extract.
Add three tablespoons of flour.
Add a table spoon of chocolate chips.
Mix together.
Microwave for 40 seconds.

I was skepticle about this while I was making it- but it actually worked! It's great! It's a nightmare to wash the mug though.

Reaction score
Well necessity is the mother of invention. It is amazing what people come up with for the microwave. Glad to hear it tastes good. It seems to have all the elements so why not? Washing the mug...goes with the territory!

Thanks for sharing this interesting idea.

Reaction score
Nice idea indeed, and great way to improvise when one has little ingredients and hand.

This makes a great recipe to me for in-a-rush need for a dessert, so thanks Andrew for sharing it with us :)

Reaction score
I've made something similar to that - I think it was a brownie in a mug. Would it help if you sprayed the mug
with non-stick spray first? Then maybe clean-up wouldn't be such a pain!!! :)
I think I learned a lot about cooking and baking when I was in college. It was a great "testing" ground
for me. Since everyone is always hungry you usually had people willing to try what you made even if it wasn't
good. Then you could perfect your skills along the way!
Keep it up and one day you will be a gourmet chef!!! :)

Reaction score
I tried lining the mug with butter last time I made it, but giving that yo're mixing everything inside the mug, it kind of got mixed off the sides. though I suppose you could spray a separate mug and then pour the mixture in to that. But it's a good thought! Yeah college is a good testing ground- it can certainly produce some... interesting recipes. It was a nice kind of cookie (you can modify the amounts to make cake/ brownie in a mug) but it wasn't quite as nice as if you were to spend a good 30 minutes preparing and baking a whole batch from scratch. The main attraction here, I think is the convenience. Sometime I would suddenly decide that I wanted home baked cookies in a lecture 20 minutes before I had to be there so I would just *poof* microwave some instant cookies- good, but not great quality, however the convenience is amazing.
Just a tip- sometimes when I sit down with this to watch TV, I like to add some melted baking chocolate (or fudge sauce and marshmallows)- even whipped cream goes quite well with it. Glad you guys liked it :)

Reaction score
Anything with chocolate in it will taste good no matter what.

I never tried cookie in a mug and to be honest I would rather buy dollar tree cookies. Though, this is pretty cool for those that want a treat but can't really bake.

Reaction score
I do also buy Dollar Tree cookies, as well as just cookies in general from the store. But I prefer the taste of home-baked foods. Also if it's late at night and I have no cookies in the house it can be a really fantastic alternative. Especially since you can customize it as much as you want, which os something you can't do with store bought cookies, which are also more expensive.

Ask a Question